PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN: Staubach makes Pitch for the Ponies & Morning Fight

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:27 pm

.....it seems like there is a total blackout of information this year-I think we are putting in the wishbone. Is it really too much to ask SMUmustangs.com to post a simple description and stats of the scrimmage. SMU fans get less information about their teams than any school in the country and SMUMustangs.cfom and the SID's office are part of the problem. And if we do get some morsel from the media its usually something we discussed 5 weeks ago on Ponyfans.com.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby WorldStang » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:33 pm

Wishbone.. I heard it was the Run-and-Shoot? :lol:
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:37 pm

I'll point out that TCU, Baylor, Tulsa, Tulane and even Rice as well as every BCS school have both OFFICIAL and PRIVATE subscription sites providing DAILY practice reports from the football team. They do this for not only the fans but the media to keep them inform and perhaps spark a story or two. That's why the job of Sports Information Director was created. Before we start [deleted] about the Dallas media failing to cover SMU football what the hell is our athletic department doing in building excitement for this year. Yet another example of the program run by Copeland not measuring up to our competitors.
Stallion

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:37 pm

I assume the picks were thrown by Phillips since the other guys threw perfect spirals all summer during their campus workouts. :roll:
Hoop Fan

Postby EastStang » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:16 pm

I heard we were going to run the single wing. I saw Bennett carrying a videotape of Delaware football games and old Doak Walker films. I hear we are going to have our place kickers drop kick this year. And we are going to fair catch any punt outside of our own 40 yard line for a free kick. Oh, and the new Uniforms will feature leather helmets.
EastStang

Postby Billy Joe » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:37 pm

I agree 100%. One of my biggest complaints about the athletic department is the lack of information regarding the teams, especially the football team. How hard is it to post some information on the smu athletic web site about how players are performing in practice. Go to OU's web site. You can actually read about practices and get quotes from coaches on position battles and scrimmages. SMU, on the other hand, closes practices and reports little about scimmage results and practices. Remember, there is a reason SMU has not had success on the field in the last decade. We have performed well below average for a reason. I will say the kick off luncheon was excellent and a positive step for the football program.
Billy Joe
All-American

Postby WorldStang » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:01 pm

I think it's somewhat ironic that the same people who call this the sunshine board are asking for SMU to talk about practices and/or what's going on during 2-adays. We all know what they would say is the same song and dance every university says..

The Coach is extremely impressed with his young recruits..
Everyone looks faster and stronger this year..
We're real strong excited about our schedule..
Johnny Fitzgerald is making his 8th change in position and had 9 interceptions and a fumble recovery for a touchdown this morning in workouts.
SMU has been practicing the end around and plan to run it 10 times a game again this year...

IMO.. the less coverage or sparatic coverage.. the more it wets the appetite of fans.

That being said.. SMU alums and others in the community don't read these boards.. they read the paper. So I'm happy to see the increased coverage this year.

Just my 2 cents..
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby ThadFilms » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:54 pm

jtstang wrote:See you at the bowl game!!

Hope you're inviting friends otherwise you'll be like Peruna (the puffy one, not the shetland) in those ads for the Ponies when they moved back to the Cotton Bowl (from Owenby)...

"The ponies have a new home... anybody gonna' tell this guy?"

My favorite of those adds was the one where the entire team ran the wrong direction out of the home locker room... absolutely classic.

I wonder if those are available anywhere online? When I was a freshman (in '97), you could work your way through one of those PonyExpress standalone machines, and find them tucked away. I'd like to see those again...

Comedy.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby DiamondM » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:14 pm

Stallion wrote:I'll point out that TCU, Baylor, Tulsa, Tulane and even Rice as well as every BCS school have both OFFICIAL and PRIVATE subscription sites providing DAILY practice reports from the football team. They do this for not only the fans but the media to keep them inform and perhaps spark a story or two. That's why the job of Sports Information Director was created. Before we start [deleted] about the Dallas media failing to cover SMU football what the hell is our athletic department doing in building excitement for this year. Yet another example of the program run by Copeland not measuring up to our competitors.

The key word above is "subscription," meaning people pay to read the reports, meaning they pay to have someone sit out in the heat, watching boring drills that provide little or no actual insight into how the team is going to play on September 3. I know EVERYTHING in the world is supposed to Copeland's fault, but the fact that our whiny, bitter, cheap [deleted] fans who don't even give money in general probably don't create enough "demand" to justify the expense of hiring someone to go sit at practice and report on it does not seem to be Copeland's fault.

You'd be pissed about what would be said anyway, because it would be all sunshiney, just as most of these "subscription" practice reports are.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:20 pm

DiamondM wrote:I know EVERYTHING in the world is supposed to Copeland's fault, but the fact that our whiny, bitter, cheap [deleted] fans who don't even give money in general probably don't create enough "demand" to justify the expense of hiring someone to go sit at practice and report on it does not seem to be Copeland's fault.

You'd be pissed about what would be said anyway, because it would be all sunshiney, just as most of these "subscription" practice reports are.

Actually, don't they already have people inside the SID office who are paid to get information on the team out? Or even an intern, a la Stallion back in the day? It would not have to be done for a subscription site. They have the athletics website up and running, a brief daily report would not be to much to ask, it seems to me.
jtstang

Postby ponydawg » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:27 pm

she is right though.....all that would happen is the sunshiners would be screaming bowl season, the darkside would be yelling at the sunshiners for believing what is posted and the nuetral-ites would laugh and wonder why they spend so much time on this board watching the same crud written every other day......
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:29 pm

Let me repeat Tulane, Tulsa, Baylor, TCU, and Rice all have OFFICIAL sites which have daily practice reports-if you don't believe me go check. And what is this increased coverage [deleted]? I hope none of you are marketing majors-"wetting the apetite" Geez.
Stallion

Postby Scoops » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:59 pm

Stallion wrote:I noticed that was at least Brandon Jones' 2nd Int. in a scrimmage this year-is he making a push for playing time?
Yes. He played well in the spring, and he's threatening to start opposite Ro Humphrey. Isn't he the one who knocked away two would-be TDs against TTech last year? He might be a little green, but he's got good size and speed, and apparently has some talent to go with it.
Scoops
All-American

Previous

Return to Football