PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN: Staubach makes Pitch for the Ponies & Morning Fight

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DMN: Staubach makes Pitch for the Ponies & Morning Fight

Postby ThadFilms » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:14 am

As per the DMN...

Staubach makes a pitch for SMU football

Cowboys great serves as keynote speaker for first Kickoff Luncheon

11:33 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 17, 2005

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

UNIVERSITY PARK – In a meeting last spring, three members of the SMU marketing department got together with football coach Phil Bennett to discuss finding a keynote speaker for the first Kickoff Luncheon.

When Roger Staubach, the former Navy and Cowboys quarterback, was mentioned, Bennett picked up the phone.

Staubach rarely does public speaking engagements, but former SMU quarterback Lance McIlhenny works for Staubach's real estate company.

Bennett asked McIlhenny, and he asked Staubach. A month later, Staubach agreed.

On Wednesday, across the street from campus at the Radisson Hotel, Staubach spoke to most of the football players, SMU alumni and others for 25 minutes.

And he's a supporter of the rebuilding football program.

"I would love to see SMU successful," Staubach said. "When they asked me about a luncheon, I took it as a honor. It was easy thing for me to do. We have a great city here, and it should be attracting the kind of players who want to play here, and they have a great stadium. So, I'm hoping they get cooking here."

Staubach's appearance brought smiles to the three people that met with Bennett that day: Shawn Heilbron, assistant athletic director for sales and marketing, Kristi Kaiser, special events coordinator and Chris Walker, the assistant athletic director for development.

"It was great to have him here," Heilbron said. "What better person to have for this event? Of course, we're open to bringing former SMU players here as the keynote speaker in the future."

SMU officials to Houston: When the luncheon was over, SMU athletic director Jim Copeland and senior associate athletic directors Carlton Cooper and Scott Secules caught a flight to Houston.

The trio was to attend a ceremony hosted by the Touchdown Club of Houston that honored former SMU coach Hayden Fry as Touchdowner of the Year. The award is given annually to an individual with extraordinary contributions to football. Previous winners included Tom Landry, Darrell Royal, Grant Teaff and Earl Campbell. Former SMU receiver Jerry LeVias, the first African-American football player at the school, was scheduled to speak about Fry.

Briefly: Some familiar football faces in attendance: Greg Gardner, Bobby Leach, Cliff Harris, Lamar Hunt and Lance McIlhenny.

--and--

Fight highlights morning scrimmage

09:26 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 17, 2005

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

UNIVERSITY PARK – During a two-minute drill session, several players got into a scrum after a hard tackle from receiver Zack Sledge on cornerback Brandon Jones.

Sledge was chasing Jones after the cornerback picked off a pass and started running down the field. Sledge swung Jones to the ground out of bounds, firing up players from the offense and defense. Offensive lineman Chris Urbanus and defensive end Don Ieremia-Stansbury exchanged heated words, as did several other players.

Briefly ...
Conference USA updated its television schedule for the 2005 football season. At least 50 games will be nationally televised on four cable outlets: CSTV, ESPN, ESPN2 and "i," which used to be called PAX.

(Is it just me or does the DMN seem to care about us this year? ... how many days have we had an article and a blurb?)
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:26 am

Yes, the DMN is giving us more 'pub' than in years past...hopefully a sign of 'changes' for the better...a lot of that may have to do with the fact that the SMU athletic department is working
hard(er) to get that 'pub' out there!

Also, there are several writers/reporters/editors/photographers on the DMN who are SMU alumni and/or supporters. That doesn't hurt when the 'budget session' is held each morning and those staff people can say "well, here's something that's happening at SMU that we should cover." (and not everything is sports-related; you can find quotes from SMU profs DAILY in the DMN on a wide variety of subjects/topics/current events)
MrMustang1965

Postby mrydel » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:35 am

Maybe the defense did not know the offense could tackle after an interception. It has not happened much in the past few years. Hopefully it is a situation to which they will become more accustomed.
mrydel

Postby Pony Up » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:25 am

Sledge could tackle Ryan Kennedy if he had to, or at least he'd dive in there to give it a shot. That guy's a stud.
Pony Up
All-American

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:42 am

I find it hard to fathom that one of our talented QBs would throw an interception. Shocking!
jtstang

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:52 am

I noticed that was at least Brandon Jones' 2nd Int. in a scrimmage this year-is he making a push for playing time?
Stallion

Postby DiamondM75 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:13 am

Is this good news or bad news?

Is our defensive secondary that much better or is our quarterback situation still that bad? Having mutiple interceptions in scrimmages could be the result of either.

The answer to this question will be answered on Sept. 3 at 10:20pm.

Stay tuned.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:15 am

DiamondM75 wrote:Is this good news or bad news?

Is our defensive secondary that much better or is our quarterback situation still that bad? Having mutiple interceptions in scrimmages could be the result of either.

The answer to this question will be answered on Sept. 3 at 10:20pm.

Stay tuned.
I thought the 'good news' was going to be that you saved a lot of money on your car insurance by switching to Geico!
MrMustang1965

Postby ponyboy » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:48 am

jtstang wrote:I find it hard to fathom that one of our talented QBs would throw an interception. Shocking!

Just as shocking as you throwing hate your team's way.
ponyboy

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:51 am

ponyboy wrote:Just as shocking as you throwing hate your team's way.

I apologize for hurting your feelings, sunshine. What I really meant to say is the Mustangs are number one and will probably go undefeated this year and win a major bowl game. Yea, Mustangs!!

Happier now?
jtstang

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:07 pm

jtstang wrote:What I really meant to say is the Mustangs are number one
Well...yes we are, at this moment...along with every other Div. 1-A team in the country! :wink:
MrMustang1965

Postby ponyboy » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:19 pm

Look, here's the bottom line, jt. Constructive criticism is one thing. Your comments however take it to a new level altogether.

Truth is, you're not particularly original, aping as you do recent trends that consider loyalty a thing of the ancient past and true fandom nothing more than cultish lockstep.
ponyboy

Postby KnuckleStang » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:24 pm

Lighten up Frances. Jeez. ..must everybody have the same opinion on here?
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:09 pm

Regarding the picks, it is a disturbing sign but it does matter whether it was the #1 vs. #2D or visa versa and it matters whether it was Tony. Eckert needs to fix that problem and if he has not it is not good. :shock:
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:21 pm

ponyboy wrote:Look, here's the bottom line, jt. Constructive criticism is one thing. Your comments however take it to a new level altogether.

As does your sunshine. See you at the bowl game!!
jtstang

Next

Return to Football