PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

An insight into the student's mind

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby SouthernMustang » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:46 pm

Regardless of if the team is bad or not, the school should be doing all it can to get new students pumped up about being "Mustangs" and support "SMU." There are schools where the team sucks, but people still support it. And now that we're in CUSA, it's not like we're playing teams nobody has heard of most of the time (SJSU, Fresno, Boise -- if you're not an avid fball fan, you haven't heard of those).

They don't even bring in band members or cheerleaders to teach them traditions at Mustang Corral; they just have someone read over everything once... the fight song, alma mater, Go Chant, and 5-4-3-2. No wonder no one knows anything. At least that's how it was last year.

Are there any current freshman that can say if there's any positive buzz, or if Corral got students excited to root for the Mustangs? There was a noticeable difference when there was good student attendance at a game and how the team performed (Tech, first game; SJSU, family weekend; Tulsa, homecoming).
SouthernMustang
Scout Team

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:08 pm

No Cal Pony wrote:Hix, when I was SMU, we cared. Or at least it seemed that way, Most folks went to the games, heck, I only missed ONE home game in four years at SMU. Went to most of the road games too. (Only going to Austin was any fun. Everywhere else blew.)

Winning helps, but it is not a cure all. There still needs to be some caring beyond the basics.

Go Ponies!

Most of the students during my time at SMU (70s) went to the games at
the Cotton Bowl.

The froggies give away a laptop at their b-ball games. Only students can enter. Must be present to win, with the laptop most likely given away sometime during the second half of the game.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:19 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:
couch 'em wrote:
BUS wrote:What Mr.M 65 is saying is.... How can someone of that thought be given the job to teach the new recruits.

It is poison to the system. It sounds like is comes from the Faculty or the one who picks these student reps.

A rep or clerk or guide should be picked that is a FAN. a Fan of sports, the Meadows School, Law School and the Cox School of B.

Where is the responsibility????

I have never seen the issue of being a fan or not come up anywhere for any position on campus. I guess when less than 1% of students truly give a damn then you dont' worry about it.
Ya just don't get it, do ya? I don't care whether they're a fan or not. If they are, great. If they're not, their choice, too. But if they're showing folks around campus and they're not a fan then they just need to STFU when it comes to athletics.

I do get it, and I agree with you. This issue has always bugged me. I was, however, pointing out that this is par for the course at SMU, and it isn't just an issue with these tours.
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustang1412 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:17 pm

You don't have to be much of a football fan to have heard of Fresno St. and Boise St.
Mustang1412
Scout Team

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:30 pm

Mustang1412 wrote:You don't have to be much of a football fan to have heard of Fresno St. and Boise St.

Hope thats a little sarcastic? Never heard of Fresno till we started playing
them in the WAC 10 years ago. Same for Boise 2 or 3 years ago.

Stayed in Boise a couple of nights going to and from Beaverton, OR from
Longview, TX when I was a kid. They've got to be paying kids to come
there :!: :!:

Nobody from the ncaa EVEN wants to go there to investigate.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

They're missing out

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:16 am

If he hasn't been to any games, he's missed some good ones. There was the funny episode with fireworks at the Navy game a couple years ago and the great flyover. Granted, you didn't need to be in the Stadium to see the flyover. The Texas Tech games have been great. The last one got out of hand but you got to see the fight in person...a grand sight that was. And the one with Kingsbury was great because the Ponies put a real scare in them.

The WAC games have been OK but there are some special occurences, like Keylon Kinkade's running and some great defensive performances as well.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Re: They're missing out

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:20 am

tristatecoog wrote:If he hasn't been to any games, he's missed some good ones. There was the funny episode with fireworks at the Navy game a couple years ago and the great flyover. Granted, you didn't need to be in the Stadium to see the flyover. The Texas Tech games have been great. The last one got out of hand but you got to see the fight in person...a grand sight that was. And the one with Kingsbury was great because the Ponies put a real scare in them.

The WAC games have been OK but there are some special occurences, like Keylon Kinkade's running and some great defensive performances as well.
...you forgot Alvin Nnabuife's NCAA record-setting two punt returns for TDs in a single game.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football