PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Overrated Big 12 - Sports Fan Magazine

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Overrated Big 12 - Sports Fan Magazine

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:24 pm

"The Big 12 Conference seems to be overrated year after year. Last year, Big 12 teams were enhanced in the rankings because people thought their conference schedules were very difficult and so some losses were “permissible” and maybe even “acceptable”. Then came bowl season. Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State all lost by more than 25 points. In the USC/Oklahoma game, the Trojans scored 55 points and when OU beat Texas earlier in the season, Texas was shut out. And pollsters thought Texas was a team that deserved a ranking that you could put in the same breath with USC if you were reciting the ranked teams. I don’t think so."

by the Sports Curmudgeon at http://www.sportsfanmagazine.com/sfm/ar ... ml?id=1847

He continues:

Texas Tech (in the Big 12) seems to have decided to emulate conference rival Kansas State in terms of scheduling cupcakes for the out of conference games. This year, Texas Tech will challenge itself with games against Florida International, Indiana State and Sam Houston State. I listed these opponents in alphabetical order because there is no way to rank them in terms of honest to goodness challenges. So tell me, when the Texas Tech Athletic Director gets the green-light from the school to go out and schedule a twelfth game next year, who will he contact first? Arkansas University for Amputees or Wellesley?
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:39 pm

pretty selective argument-at least the article should point out that two non Division championships beat Top 10 teams(was Michigan Top 10?) in Tech over Cal and UT over Michigan.
Stallion

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:45 pm

I believe Michigan was 14th.
MrMustang1965

Postby Bocephus » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:18 pm

I don't think the Big 12 was overrated. Sometimes that is just the way the matchups in the bowls go.
Bocephus
Scout Team

Postby LonghornFan68 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:32 pm

What the hell does "rating" mean anyway? Who cares what one conference is "rated" compared to another. The conference power struggle shifts from month-to-month and year-to-year. I'm more interested in individual matchups and head-to-head comparisons, not the opinion of some 2-bit sportswriter. What the hell is Sports Fan Magazine? I've never heard of it.
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby oakley » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:47 pm

CRAP FILTER
oakley
Junior Varsity

Postby DixieTech » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:43 am

XII is not overrated. The XII South is the toughest division in the nation, but the XII north has been weak the last two years. These idiots have an agenda.
Southern, Texan, American - in that order.
DixieTech
Recruit

Return to Football