PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Yesterday's Practice & Tomorrow's Scrimmage

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Yesterday's Practice & Tomorrow's Scrimmage

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:37 pm

Breaking down the blurb in the DMN...

Football coach Phil Bennett said Thursday afternoon's practice was the best he's seen on the first day of school in his 26 years of coaching.

Seriously, what does this mean? Really? Is this a positive... I guess any good practice has to be a positive... but again... What does this mean? Anybody have some thoughts? Maybe you former players on the board? (My guess is that on average the first day of class practice might be a little sluggish normally, and that would prompt Bennett to bring it up... but other than that... who knows?)

Bennett said Wednesday's kickoff luncheon probably inspired his players.

Yeah, I can see how it would... but the best "first day of class practice" in his 26 years of coaching? Good job, Roger.

The team will hold a 7 p.m. scrimmage Saturday night in Ford Stadium. It is open to the public.

I will see you all there... or some of you there....
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Football Blog » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:27 pm

I thought it was a weird statement, too. You can read it two ways. One good and one irrelevant.

Bennett could be saying that it was the best practice because on this day, players are traditionally distracted by other things. This is irrelevant. I don't care whether Romo is dazed and confused by his first day's accounting homework or if Phillips is daydreaming about the hottie in English Lit.

The positive way to read it is that the team is farther along in preseason preparation. The offense is gelling; timing is improved. The players are in better shape. The players have come further since the Spring than any other team.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:21 pm

I want to read it the second way... and I am thinking that that is the way he meant it... It's a bit sad that we are trying to figure out something that could be the greatest [thing, whatever it maybe] in a mere two sentences.

Well... here's to the Mustangs. Sept. 3 can't get here soon enough. But tomorrow will take the edge off.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby BUS » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:26 pm

It could also mean that most of the players that need to be at practice had a good schedule of classes and could make practice.

That is another area that could be aided at SMU. Athletes get first pick of classes so to make their degree plan AND make practice.

Go Mustangs
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby oakley » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:58 pm

Isn't it time for a post about strolling down memory lane?
oakley
Junior Varsity

Postby BUS » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:01 pm

Yo
Weeping Willow

Come see me.
Wussy
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby SMU Football Blog » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:08 pm

BUS wrote:It could also mean that most of the players that need to be at practice had a good schedule of classes and could make practice.

That is another area that could be aided at SMU. Athletes get first pick of classes so to make their degree plan AND make practice.

Go Mustangs

I thought they actually did, in fact, fix that a few years ago.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football