PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coach Phil Isn't the Only One w/ a Contract Extension

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Coach Phil Isn't the Only One w/ a Contract Extension

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:50 pm

DALLAS (SMU) - SMU women's basketball head coach Rhonda Rompola has received a contract extension through May, 2010, as announced by the SMU Athletic Department on Friday. Terms of the contract extension were not disclosed.

Rompola begins her 15th season as head coach and posts a record of 254-162 (.610 winning percentage). Last season, the Mustangs recorded a mark of 19-11 and were invited to the WNIT postseason tournament. All five starters from the 2004-05 season return for the Mustangs, led by All-America candidate sophomore post Janielle Dodds. SMU opens up the regular season on Friday, November 13 at Moody Coliseum with a preseason WNIT match-up vs. Louisiana-Lafayette.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BrianTinBigD » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:21 pm

Good god! Let's commit to 5 years deals for everyone. We would hate to see them go somewhere else with all the recent success that we have been having.
Class of '91
BrianTinBigD
Heisman

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:41 pm

I believe it's "God"
ALEX LIFESON

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:58 pm

BrianTinBigD wrote:Good god! Let's commit to 5 years deals for everyone. We would hate to see them go somewhere else with all the recent success that we have been having.

Actually, she's the only major sport coach (football/Bball) that might deserve it. When was the last time men's bball went to a post season tournament?

Maybe Copeland's trying to set himself up for a 5 year renewal :!: Anybody know how long his contract is, and when it comes up for renewal :?: :?: :?: :?:
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:45 am

Must agree with PlanoStang on this one. I like this signing.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby oakley » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:54 am

I can't figure out why you guys haven't tried to get Emily Neiman; Emily is from Houston (close to Dallas), religious+, studious, and … she is a 3-point shootin' freak.

Warning: Ask RR to not yell at her or she will quit. Ask RR to not talk about her weight or she will quit. Ask RR to not try to change her game or she will quit. Understand?
oakley
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:32 am

oakley wrote:I can't figure out why you guys haven't tried to get Emily Neiman; Emily is from Houston (close to Dallas), religious+, studious, and … she is a 3-point shootin' freak.

Warning: Ask RR to not yell at her or she will quit. Ask RR to not talk about her weight or she will quit. Ask RR to not try to change her game or she will quit. Understand?
In other words...she's a quitter. :roll:
MrMustang1965

Postby Pony Up » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:05 am

I'm glad to see Coach Rompola get this extension -- she deserves it. The job she did last year with such a young team was pretty remarkable.
Pony Up
All-American

Postby EastStang » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:08 am

RR has been successful and just had a great recruiting class. Sometimes she ticks off her players because she's pretty tough from all I've heard. You don't let good ones get away like Forrest Gregg, Hayden Fry and Bum Phillips. Imagine what the 70's and 90's would have been like with those men at head coach instead of Dave Smith and Rossley, Cavan and Bennett. Get the picture.
EastStang

Postby Corso » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:21 am

EastStang wrote: .... Sometimes she ticks off her players because she's pretty tough from all I've heard....
Don't care. Those kids are getting an education and a chance to play for their school, and play for a terrific coach. I've read that many of the Celtics hated Red Auerbach when he coached the team. I'd take his track record, wouldn't you?

Congratulations, RR - you deserve it.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Return to Football