PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Texas Tech QB Transfers to...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Texas Tech QB Transfers to...

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:50 pm

...yep, Sam Houston State University!

Former Texas Tech quarterback Phillip Daugherty could be coming back to Jones SBC Stadium next month, maybe even to play against his old team.

Daugherty has transferred to Sam Houston State, which will play Tech on Sept. 17 in Lubbock. Transfers within Division I-A have to sit out a year, but because he switched to a Division I-AA school, Daugherty is eligible to play immediately.

Tech coach Mike Leach normally won't release scholarship players to a Division I school in Texas or to a future opponent.

"I didn't really feel like I waived it,'' Leach said of his usual policy on transfers. "Was it a little bit of an exception based on the circumstances? Probably so.''

Daugherty told Leach he wanted to transfer last Sunday. He joined Sam Houston State on Friday and quarterbacked the last series in an intrasquad scrimmage on Saturday.

"It was a deal where he had to do something pretty quick,'' Leach said. "It was a pretty good match for him, it was kind of a situational thing, and I felt like it was the thing to do. I just think it was best for him and best for the timing of the thing.''

Sam Houston State's new coach is Todd Whitten, who was a Tech graduate assistant under Spike Dykes from 1988-89. Sam Houston has been a haven for ex-Big 12 quarterbacks lately. Former Texas A&M quarterback Dustin Long led the Bearkats to an 11-3 season and the I-AA semifinals last year as a senior. Their first-string quarterback at the moment is Noah Allen, a transfer from Oklahoma.

Leach didn't act too concerned that Daugherty would tell his new team what to expect from Tech.

"Anybody that has film on us has a pretty good idea,'' Leach said.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:31 pm

We should ask the NCAA to let D1 players transfer to SMU without having to sit out in exchange for over penalizing and destroying our program.
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Football » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:53 pm

You guys were completely screwed on that one. Look at how the SEC schools and Ohio St. get away with murder these days.

The NCAA owes you big.
Mr. Football
Recruit

Postby DixieTech » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:00 am

Phil will light it up at Sam, mark it down.
Southern, Texan, American - in that order.
DixieTech
Recruit

Return to Football