PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Bastardation of SMU History

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Bastardation of SMU History

Postby Stallion » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:32 am

So far 21 out 73 Greatest Moments in SMU History apparently have happened since the DP which is quite surprising since I doubt we have won an average of 3 games a year since 1989. At this pace there will be 1 greatest Pony Lite moment for every 2 Pony Lite victories since the DP. What a joke and anybody that doesn't get just a little pissed that the administration has thrown this bunch of garbage in our faces is not a true fan of SMU's history.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mickey » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:40 am

I am with you on this. Who selected these Greatest Moments?
Mickey
All-American

Postby Stallion » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:41 am

brings new meaning to Dickens' famous line -These were the Best of Times, and These were the Worst of Times" from "A Tale of Two Mustang Histories" one told by the heroics of former great Mustangs and the other which was a figment of Copeland's imagination.
Stallion

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:03 am

Is it really 21? I am surprised it isn't more. Still a couple left to go, no doubt-the opening at Ford, at least. I am just not going to freak out about it. I think there is a place on there for some of the moments, such as records; first post-DP win; first winning season post-DP; opening of Ford. Though I remember the Houston win in 1992 more than any other game as a student, I don't put it on the list. I probably don't put the A&M tie on there (or the two other ties that made the list for that matter) or the closing out of the Cottonbowl. I don't put Doak Walker Day or Ford scoring the first TD in Ford on the list.

Though some talked about it like it was the best win ever, I personally don't put the 1997 Arkansas win on the list as it was the 3rd year in a row we beat them, they had a losing record and we followed that game up with three bad losses.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

I surprised we have any great moments post DP

Postby Sam I Am » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:36 am

With our sorry record post DP, it is hard to call any of our moments great - but some were memorable. The first post DP win, beating UH after they had tried to humiliate us, and the wins over Arkansas are about the only games worth mentioning. Back when we had the pony express, almost every game was great. And the Walker/Rote era was sensational too. The 1935 Rose Bowl team and maybe some of the very early years deserve acclaim. My position has always been that college sports should not be judged by amateur standards any more than are the Olympic games. The true definition of a student athlete vesus being a pro is that the player takes college classes and makes good academic progress like any other student is expected to do. Unlike the PAC-10, SMU did not cheat scholastically. We shouldn't have to pay under the table. The athletes deserve all they get and more. Sorry about the rant. Rock on.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby jtstang » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:54 am

SMU Football Blog wrote:Though I remember the Houston win in 1992 more than any other game as a student, I don't put it on the list.

You're right--can't put it on the list, because you'd have to talk about 95-21 in order to put it in context. And even though 95-21 kind of sums up our last 16 years, they just couldn't talk about that, now could they.
jtstang

Postby Corso » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:26 pm

I don't if there should be 21 post-DP moments or 2 or 201 .... but it's understandable that there are several included on the list. The athletic department is trying to help folks be positive (read: "buy tickets"), and if they were to present a list that said nothing has happened since 1987 would be beyond counterproductive, don't you think?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:43 pm

I don't know, when you are really putrid, any good moment is a greatest moment.
EastStang

Postby SmooBoy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:54 pm

Stallion wrote: which was a figment of Copeland's imagination.

Speaking of which, is it a figment of my imagination or should we be listening to someone who has whined 3833 times (and counting) on a "fan" Web site? Come on Stal, I know you can mix in some positivity every thousand posts or so...
SmooBoy

Postby PK » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:03 pm

Mickey wrote:I am with you on this. Who selected these Greatest Moments?
It doesn't really matter no list by anyone would satisfy everyone. I personally would not want to be the one delegated to put that list together. I have enjoyed reading about the various moments just for the fact that my memory has been refreshed or I have learned something new about SMU football I did not previously know. Like one poster said its all about marketing and that's OK.
PK

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:41 pm

haven't u hard about the dumming down of america in our schools & jobs -

welcome to USA 2005 -
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby The PonyGrad » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:19 pm

Now look at what they called it: moments. Now if they had said greatest seasons or even games it would be more difficult but since it is just moments there can be some since the DP. Hence breaking the longest losing streak fits. :oops:
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Stallion » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:33 pm

Yes that's true but only if English is not your native tongue and therefore can't understand the use of adjectives such as "Greatest" when they are placed directly before "Moments"
Stallion

Postby DiamondM » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:15 pm

I know Stallion can't go a day without pointing out something negative, but this "Greatest Moments" this is always going to be completely subjective.

Which is "greater?" A win against Texas during years where those were relatively commonplace because we were so good, or a shocking upset --- yes the tie was one of Sports Illustrated's upsets of the year in 1994, I kept the magazine -- by sucky SMU against a top 10 Aggie team in a building filled with Aggies when absolutely no one who wasn't legally committed to an insane asylum expected anything other than a blow out by ATM?

It is a purely subjective definition of great. So what makes a "great moment" (as opposed to a great game, or great team, or great season, or great decade)? Something that is relatively commonplace and easy to achieve (and perhaps achieved by cheating), or something that no one expected and provided a MOMENT of joy for a suffering group of fans?

Plus, we all know that every single one of these "greatest" lists are always slanted toward the more recent than the past, simply because the memories are fresher -- and it isn't a personal failing of this administration, Jim Copeland, SMU, or anyone else that list is no different from all the others.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby 1982Express » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:28 pm

Stallion, lets hunt down and hang the s.o.b who came up with this list and wrote the articles about the. If you hold that person down I'll kick him.

Seriously, my anal retentive, angry at the world, cry me a river friend...I say this with all my heart. DOWN BOY! Bad Stallion.

These moments are meant to educate the young, bring back good memories for the old, and maybe, just maybe, let us talk about the good things in SMU history and not always talk about how we have not done so well lately and how the death penalty hurt us.

I think Stallion needs a hug.

Until then, lets find the moron who wrote this thing and beat him senseless!
1982Express
Scout Team

Next

Return to Football