PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Columbus sails the ocean blue (avoiding the red shirt)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Columbus sails the ocean blue (avoiding the red shirt)

Postby ThadFilms » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:08 am

Givens will be the only frosh not red shirt, as per C-Wat over at the DMN... Here's what the coach had to say...

"He's a playmaker," Bennett said. "Every time he touches the ball, you hold your breath. I plan on using him because he can help us win."

Good plan, coach.

Does anyone else wish the DMN would allow Bennett to expound on these remarks? It's like: "We won't do that because we'll lose." ... More, more, more! Please?

Oh and Bennett also said the QB position is up for grabs... between Eckert and Romo.... (apparently Phillips has a stomach virus now too)... anybody at all frightened by this revelation? He says that there might not be a decision until the opener?!?!?!?

Please, let's just pick one, and go for it...

LonghornFan68... feel free to chime in here with some Phillips love.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Columbus sails the ocean blue (avoiding the red shirt)

Postby Horseshoe » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:28 am

ThadFilms wrote:Givens will be the only frosh not red shirt, as per C-Wat over at the DMN... Here's what the coach had to say...

"He's a playmaker," Bennett said. "Every time he touches the ball, you hold your breath. I plan on using him because he can help us win."

Good plan, coach.
From what I've seen at practice, he's pretty amazing. Now I want to see it in games.

ThadFilms wrote:Oh and Bennett also said the QB position is up for grabs... between Eckert and Romo.... (apparently Phillips has a stomach virus now too)... anybody at all frightened by this revelation? He says that there might not be a decision until the opener?!?!?!?
Why would this scare you? I've always assumed from Day One that both will play, and that both will start at some point. I'm surprisingly OK with this.

ThadFilms wrote:Please, let's just pick one, and go for it...
Well, yeah, that would be preferable. But not likely.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby JasonB » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:48 am

On the QB's, Bennett said that we have two starters. That doesn't sound like both are struggling to me...

Givens, from the first practice I saw, is already one of our best receivers, and gives us a big body with height, speed, and athleticism. I didn't think there was any way we would redshirt him. He is not being redshirted because he is THAT good.
JasonB

Postby JudgeChamber » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:17 am

JasonB wrote:On the QB's, Bennett said that we have two starters. That doesn't sound like both are struggling to me...

You have two starters because neither one is any better than the other. And neither one is a world-beater. That's not good.
JudgeChamber
Scout Team

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:20 am

JudgeChamber wrote:You have two starters because neither one is any better than the other. And neither one is a world-beater. That's not good.

Actually, it's more likely because one is a better passer and one is a better runner--it'll probably be situational. But you're right, they are surely not worldbeaters.
jtstang

Postby mrydel » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:25 am

The alternative is no starter which is where we have been for the past few years. Hopefully one of the 3 will emerge as a clear cut starter soon.
mrydel

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:50 am

who is Baylor's all-american qb? Funny, his name escapes me.
Hoop Fan

Re: Columbus sails the ocean blue (avoiding the red shirt)

Postby ThadFilms » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:14 am

Horseshoe wrote:
ThadFilms wrote:Givens will be the only frosh not red shirt, as per C-Wat over at the DMN... Here's what the coach had to say...

Good plan, coach.
From what I've seen at practice, he's pretty amazing. Now I want to see it in games.

This has been all I have been hearing - great things. Had a chance to see him at a practice* (and to an extent at the scrimmage), I tend to agree.... he could be the best true frosh WR since Jack Brewer.

* - I was doing some work on campus, took a nice long break... Never watched a practice as a fan before.... and even when I worked for the team, I spent most of my time watching the women's soccer team practice. Women and soccer two of my favorite things. Together: Magical.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby WorldStang » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:16 am

who is Baylor's all-american qb? Funny, his name escapes me.

I think his name is J. J. J. J. J. J. J. J. Joe
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby JudgeChamber » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:50 am

When did I bring up Baylor? I knew it would happen with you guys, but we are discussing SMUs QBs. Baylor doesn't have an All-American QB. Probably doesn' t have an All-Conference QB, but we have a guy that will be ok for us in Bell and a few guys that can be pretty dang good behind him in Parks and Szymanski.

But we were talking SMU, or are you tired of that already?
JudgeChamber
Scout Team

Postby SMU Football Blog » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:08 pm

Bennett knows who is going to start; he just isn't saying. The two QB's are different enough that he wants Baylor to prepare for both.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:13 pm

jtstang wrote:Actually, it's more likely because one is a better passer and one is a better runner--it'll probably be situational. But you're right, they are surely not worldbeaters.

Hopefully this will not continue to mean whenever Romo comes in you already know he is going to run. Nobody is fooled by that.
couch 'em

Postby LonghornFan68 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:01 pm

I think SMU should lineup with a 3-qb set. Hike it to a different guy every time. You know, keep the defense guessing. ;)

Seriously, though, what would be wrong with Phillips at WR? Anytime you have a guy like that on the field it would help the team. Can he catch?
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Postby abezontar » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:22 pm

I think he only came here because we said we would keep him at QB, I do like the idea of lining up all three at QB at the same time and then let the defense try to figure out what the hell we are doing.....has a very Waterboy quality that I like.......YOU CAN DO IT... CUT HIS FING HEAD OFF!!!!
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby WorldStang » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:43 pm

If we've got 2 capable QB's and they workout for us this year (ie.. win games with them).. why not Redshirt Chris Phillips? Is there a cut-off where we could not do this after a certain year?

Just an idea..

Can't wait to see Justin Willis already next year.. that kid is going to be a stellar player.
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Next

Return to Football