PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How can you not respect The Leach?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

How can you not respect The Leach?

Postby PonyFan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:53 am

Per today's DMN:

Texas Tech starting safety Vincent Meeks could face up to two years in jail and a $10,000 fine for allegedly violating his probation on a forgery charge. Legal issues will not keep the ex-Rockwall standount from playing for the Red Raiders, coach Mike Leach said.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby BeerBus Tailgatin Aggie » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:55 am

As someone who doesn't care for Tech at all, I actually like Leach. He is hilarious, and he is all around entertainment value. He tries to stir the pot with opposing teams all the time (some might not appreciate it, but I find a lot of his antics funny).

I'm not sure of ALL the details, but I'm sure he has a legitimate reason for doing this.
BeerBus Tailgatin Aggie
Scout Team

Postby mrydel » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:03 am

I would imagine the legitimate reason is something like a 4.3 40, good cover technique, lack of depth.
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LonghornFan68 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:32 pm

I guess his philosophy (not mine) would be that if the NCAA will not keep him from playing, why should he?
Official Cult of Chris Phillips Member
LonghornFan68
Heisman

Leach

Postby PerunaRaider » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:54 pm

Or maybe Leach believes that a person is innocent UNLESS proven guilty...... Its just an accusation against Meeks, and an accusation means absolutely nothing.
PerunaRaider
Recruit

Re: Leach

Postby mrydel » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:08 pm

PerunaRaider wrote:Or maybe Leach believes that a person is innocent UNLESS proven guilty...... Its just an accusation against Meeks, and an accusation means absolutely nothing.

Tell that to the people trying to raise bail. Innocent until proven guilty is in a court of law not in the court of your opinion.
mrydel

Re: Leach

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:11 pm

PerunaRaider wrote:Or maybe Leach believes that a person is innocent UNLESS proven guilty...... Its just an accusation against Meeks, and an accusation means absolutely nothing.

Of course, the FORGERY CHARGE was not just an accusation.
jtstang

Postby DallasDiehard » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:34 am

And his statement that legal trouble won't keep Meeks from playing makes it sound like his players can do whatever they want .... and even if they're found guilty, they'll still get to suit up every Saturday. He's all class, huh? Bobby Knight is funny. He's loud and outrageous, but his athletes graduate and they invariably swear by him. The Leach is not funny or charismatic in any way, and doesn't win enough big games to get away with such comments.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Mustang1412 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:29 am

(some might not appreciate it, but I find a lot of his antics funny)

Did you find it funny when he called 3 pass plays in a row into the endzone against us when they were up by two scores? Dumb [deleted]. Leach is a piece of sh*t.
Mustang1412
Scout Team

Postby mustang_of_smu » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:39 pm

Mustang1412 wrote:
(some might not appreciate it, but I find a lot of his antics funny)

Did you find it funny when he called 3 pass plays in a row into the endzone against us when they were up by two scores? Dumb [deleted]. Leach is a piece of sh*t.

I think the longhorn was referring to his comments before games and other times that he generally makes in press conferences and other conversations with the press. I also find those funny.

Everyone knows he showed poor football etiquette (where's the spell check when you need it) in that game, but it provided one of my fondest memories as an SMU Student. No, not the Bennett push. The great defensive stand at the end of the game. What a statement. I have to hold on to these going down with honor moments because we haven't had a win over anyone that I actually remember (except the win over La Tech, most notably Bennett's first win) in the 3 years I've gone to school here. Leech is probably not as much of a bad ace as he tries to be on TV or on the field. It's just a part of an act he puts on to help him keep a job as well as national interest in his program. Who knows, that entire episode could have been staged.
mustang_of_smu
Recruit

Postby jtstang » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:20 pm

mustang_of_smu wrote:Everyone knows he showed poor football etiquette (where's the spell check when you need it) in that game, but it provided one of my fondest memories as an SMU Student. No, not the Bennett push. The great defensive stand at the end of the game. What a statement. I have to hold on to these going down with honor moments because we haven't had a win over anyone that I actually remember (except the win over La Tech, most notably Bennett's first win) in the 3 years I've gone to school here.

Well, if that doesn't speak volumes about the sorry state of this program, I don't know what does.
jtstang

Postby Dooby » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:25 pm

I dearly wish Bennett had called an all out blitz and put Sonny Cumbie out for the year.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:29 pm

well Leach might not have much to say about it. The District Attorney was reported in the DMN as seeking probation revocation. Of course, it might get continued -as the report mentioned-to allow him to go to school while his attorneys are preparing a defense at a probation revocation hearing.
Stallion

Postby SMU Football Blog » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:49 pm

Dooby wrote:I dearly wish Bennett had called an all out blitz and put Sonny Cumbie out for the year.

I loved how Leach defended himself in the postgame by bringing up getting drummed by Nebraska in his first year in 2000 56-3. Of course, Nebraska had the ball at the end and ran four straight running plays to end the game. Oh, and Crouch (who was gunning for the Heisman), sat out most of the second half. But other than being completely different, it was exactly the same.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football