PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Greatness of Rufus Cormier

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Greatness of Rufus Cormier

Postby Stallion » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:56 pm

one pioneer SMU player in the late 1960s who is often overlooked with the spotlight on Jerry LeVias for brealking the color barrier is Rufus Cormier. In the interview of Coach Hayden Fry recently posted, the discussion turned to the fact that SMU faced Heisman Trophy winner Steve Owens in the 1968 Astro-Bluebonnett Bowl. Owens had not lost yardage on a single play from scrimmage in his entire career at OU. Fry said that Cormier tackled Owens behind the line of scrimmage 4 times in that bowl game. Rufus Cormier is an often forgotten great SMU football player. That was 4 great moments in SMU history.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:00 pm

you gotta love the name 'Rufus'.
Hoop Fan

Postby mrydel » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:02 pm

I was on the team with Rufus, although only a Freshman the year of his great season and game against OU. He is an outstanding citizen and another great example of not only an outstanding athlete but quality person. Lets give him a fifth moment for character.
mrydel

Postby bubba pony » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:46 pm

wow, looks at his resume.

http://www.bakerbotts.com/lawyers/detai ... bad1f96333

Yale law school after SMU
bubba pony
Heisman

It was a great game for Cormier

Postby Sam I Am » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:27 pm

I was just back from Vietnam and saw the SMU-OU game in 1968. Cormier and the whole team were great that night. SMU can be great again once the school realizes how important it is to the alumni and its student enrollment.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Return to Football