PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

11 Straight in Regular Season

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

11 Straight in Regular Season

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:08 am

Final
Longview: 28
Marshall: 16

Heat was a big factor in the 95th meeting between the Lobos and Mavericks.

Before a standing room only crowd, the Lobos ran wild on the Mavs in a 28-16 win. Lobo Senior Chris Ivory went out after scoring a 30+ yard touchdown on 4th and 1 to make the score 21-7..Due to the heat. He is scheduled to play next week as far as I've heard.

Longview showed how much better they were in the 1st and 2nd quarter, but like I said the heat was huge. It was no question atleast 115 on that field tonight.

People passing out in the stands due to the heat, thats how bad it was. At 11 o'clock, driving back, it was 89 degrees outside.

It tired the players into making stupid mistakes and a not very exciting 2nd half.

The Lobos were in full control and never gave any question. The Mavs up 6 points on the board with close to 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter, the two pointer was no good.

Longview now takes a 5 game winning streak over the Mavs into next season and a 49-41-5 record againist them.

Longview will head to Shreveport next Saturday to take on West Monroe. Marshall will play Shreveport Huntington on Friday.

Go Lobos!
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OC Mustang » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:31 am

Was there too...50 yard line season tickets (Marshall side...I tried to get Andy K. to go with me, but I think he was too much the Lobo).

Marshall looked inconsistent, though I think if we can play in that stifling environment (same goes for Longview), we can play anybody anywhere and at least stand them down 3 quarters. It was hot as a firecracker out there. Our concessions were not prepared...they ran out of H20.

I had not seen a Lobo/Marshall game since 1988-1990. where we pounded you three years in a row. Was good to be under the Friday night lights, having been in California for the last seven years, despite the fact that I would trade weather in a minute.

Longview looked good. Ivory was amazing (Marshall's Jackie Robinson, #34, ain't bad either, but he is the big lumbering kind, not the agile type Ivory is). Your #88 is deceptively fast, and he has good hands. Your QB and DBs were the most noticeably exceptional players put up against similar positions on Marshall's team. Our QB is tall, and he can put it up there, but his vision is first year, despite his senior physical tools. He just has a hard time putting in tight spots consistently. Our DBS were good, but yours smothered ours.

All in, my son and I really enjoyed the game, despite the loss.
Really wished concessions would have had their act together. Geez, it was hot.
OC Mustang
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:46 am

The heat was horrible.

One of the hotter games that I've ever been to.

What happened over there on the Marshall side with the lady passing out?

Ill let you know if Ivory is ok. Last I heard he was ok but man that heat really got him.
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football