PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Practice Report 8-16-00

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Practice Report 8-16-00

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 17, 2000 12:26 am

Today the Mustangs began in full pads. It was very hot and humid, so the team looked fatigued at times. A couple great things happened. Jason Pipkins had two touchdown runs. Both plays were greatly aided by the second string O-line, which is great to see, because questions of depth have been raised. Pipkins used his speed and agility to break free from any defenders and march the ball into the endzone. These plays show promise in SMU's offensive depth. KG, Jonas, and Price all looked great today. Price had a setup for a spectacular hit, but the receiver saw him and dropped the ball. Maybe Price will become a threat to offensive players around the WAC. Trent Hrncir showed his potential with several nice plays, one of which was a tackle for a loss of yards.

On the offensive side of the ball, I noticed Page making some nice throws. I think his size is his only flaw. Page showed today that he has the capability to make running, jumping, and scrambling throws. Bryan McDearman looks to be the reliable receiver. I think I can count on one hand how many passes I have seen him drop in all the practices I have seen. If the ball is near him, he will catch it.

The Mustangs are preparing for their first scrimmage, this Saturday.

------------------
PonyFanMan
Co-Founder, Ponyfans.com
Cwilson@ponyfans.com
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!

Re: Practice Report 8-16-00

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 17, 2000 11:17 am

Will this scrimmage be on the IM fields or on the the new practice fields? I agree on Page from what I have seen, he has potential. I like our qbs right now, but I dont like that they are so close in age/class. Luker and Page are both sophomores and McCown just a junior. Is it too late to consider redshirting Luker?

Re: Practice Report 8-16-00

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 17, 2000 6:07 pm

Stangster-

The scrimmage is indeed going to be a Ford Stadium, which means it, is going to be closed to the public. I think Coach Cavan wants them to experience the stadium a little bit before they play in an actual game there.

I don't think the idea of putting a redshirt on Luker is totally out of the question. Time will tell, but I don't think it is a bad idea.

Return to Football