PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Morning Practice Report 8-18-00

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Morning Practice Report 8-18-00

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 18, 2000 2:44 pm

Today the Mustangs hit the IM fields in shells. They started practice out with special teams--something they have been spending a lot of time with. Coach Henderson has all the coaches working with special teams, and a lot of emphasis is being placed on all the aspects. Everything looks very good; we just hope the kickers can find consistency this year so we have something to fall back on in third down situations.

PonyFans.com watched the secondary for a while. Looks like KG and Jonas will be starting DB's and the Safeties will be Price and a toss up between O'Neill and Rushbrook. Rushbrook is very small, but I was very impressed with his ability. I am concerned with his lack of experience and size. Tommy Dorsey is second string DB, along with Brent Briggs. Orr is playing Safety. The freshman DB's looked pretty good. Rico Harris has good size, and will gain some more; Medlock looked fast, but needs some meat on his bones; and Chris Godfrey, also impressed me. I think we have strong youth in the secondary.

I also watched the wide receivers. Bryan McDearman looks great. He might be the hardest worker on the field. Every route is run at 100% and he always caught the ball. Of course, the Comet and Cardwell looked solid. Marcus Carter still looks like he is adapting to WR. He seems to have trouble catching the ball. I think Freeman is going to have an awesome year. He is super fast, and once he catches a few balls in game situations, he will gain confidence at his new position and flourish. We have tremendous strength at WR, as you well know.

Jason Pipkins, if given opportunities, should have a stellar year. He should be right behind Kris Briggs. Pipkins makes plays every time he touches the ball. What he lacks in size and power is easily made up with his speed and finesse. The freshman backs look a little small, but they seem to be holding their own in practice. They are receiving many reps. They all have several years of practice ahead of them, since Briggs is only a sophomore.

More to come this evening.

By the way, I notice a lot of moving trucks around Moody and the transition building. It looks like Ford won't be vacant for much longer. The reason why the scrimmage this weekend is closed is because Ford is still a construction site, so public will not be allowed inside. PonyFans will report on the scrimmage as soon as we can.

------------------
PonyFanMan
Co-Founder, Ponyfans.com
Cwilson@ponyfans.com
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!

Re: Morning Practice Report 8-18-00

Postby Class of '84 » Fri Aug 18, 2000 5:18 pm

Sounds like Brent Briggs will be our nickel corner?? I think this is a good thing, because I don't feel comfortable putting a true freshmen in a spot like that right out of the gate. From practice reports it sounds like B. Briggs has been making a lot of big plays anyway.
Class of '84

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 18, 2000 5:26 pm

Brent has looked good to me thus far. The other day I saw him make a great goal-line interception, but later that day I saw him get beat deep by Johnie Freeman. I am headed to practice now. Expect another practice report later this evening.

Postby graypony » Fri Aug 18, 2000 5:27 pm

To me, Brent looks bigger, stronger, faster, and anticipates better than he did as a true freshman. I am hoping after the bad luck that happened to him against Fresno last year, he intercepts a pass and returns it for the game-winning score against Fresno. He was put in a tough spot against them last year and I would love to see revenge for #29.

BTW, kudos to PonyFanMan for the daily practice reports. Not living in the MetroPlex means I have to depend on your reports to keep up. Thanks!
graypony
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUFan » Fri Aug 18, 2000 6:06 pm

Does your prediction that Pipkins will be right behind Briggs mean that Woods has been demoted?
SMUFan
All-American

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 18, 2000 9:20 pm

Glad you are enjoying them! I am about to post this afternoon's report. Ponyfans.com will be at the scrimmage tomorrow as well. I will keep post my report as soon as I can!

Postby Class of '84 » Fri Aug 18, 2000 9:23 pm

Didn't Brent start in the game vs. Hawaii last year?? Now I understand Tracy Hart won't be there to help this year, but I thought I remembered Briggs pretty much shutting down one of the Rainbows better receivers (even though there only seemed to be about 1000 people in the stands that day...sheesh!). Hopefully that was a sing of things to come!
Class of '84

Return to Football