PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Afternoon Practice report, 8-18-00

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Afternoon Practice report, 8-18-00

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 18, 2000 9:30 pm

There is not much to report on today’s afternoon practice. It was only about an hour and fifteen minutes long, and they were not in any sort of pads.

The first half of practice was dedicated to special teams. It looks as if Johnnie Freeman and Chris Cunningham will be returning kickoffs this year. I think Colin Vadheim is going to be doing to holding for the P.A.T.’s and the field goals. I do not know anything about punts just yet.

The offense appeared to be trying out a new formation. Perhaps it will be used to surprise defenses. They practiced this in multiple formations, running a variety of plays. It looks interesting, I will be curious to see if it works.

It does look as if Thorton Chandler has the right guard position locked down, at least for now. It seems to be doing very well.

Josh is definitely the best quarterback right now. I think it would be great if we could red-shirt Luker, allowing him to spend an extra year learning and also making it so all of our quarterbacks were not within one year of each other. I think Kelan will be good, but he just needs some time to grow. Page looked solid as well.

Marcus Carter appeared to be having a little difficulty with his routes. He does not seem to run them as efficiently as the other guys. McDearman is a work horse, and Comet is, as you can imagine, awesome.

Jason Pipkins might have the starting fullback job (when we use one). Jeff Woods appears to be injured right now, although I do not think it is serious.

That is all I have for this afternoon. Sorry there is not much there, but like I said, it was a very short relaxed practice.

[This message has been edited by MustangMatt (edited 08-18-2000).]

Return to Football