PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU's Froghorn

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: TCU's Froghorn

Postby MustangMan » Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:07 pm

Just A Friend:

As one of the early posters on this site, I think the reference to TCU as a bunch of morons stems from the cycle that school went through with student-athletes appearing in the wrong section of the newspaper (such as the police reports, instead of the sports section) and the revelation that a bunch of their athletes had bad grades, at least in part because of poor class attendance - and from the fact that TCU accepted a player (Derek Canine) who was booted from SMU on (I believe) an academic honor violation.

Whatever the reason, it's no more fair to paint TCU with a broad brush any more than it's fair to assume all SMU students were raised on a golf course and were given a BMW on their 16th birthdays. Sometimes talking about reputations can be more amusing than reality, that's all.

[This message has been edited by MustangMan (edited 07-01-2002).]
MustangMan
Junior Varsity

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:25 am

Mustangman,

I understand there is a rivalry between schools, but I just don't buy into it. But if we were talking about athlete-students then I understand, but as a student-athlete I take offense to that comment considering I'm on the Dean's List, and would be if I were anywhere else, including SMU. It is fun to talk about reputations, but you should just say that the football players are jack-asses. Which I cannot argue: they are.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby BurntOrange » Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:58 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">About that picture of Chris Simms: Wasn't that just before he threw an interception?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually ProudPonyPa, that is right before he threw a touchdown. Just one of the 22 touchdowns he threw to set the all-time single season record at UT. That's right, the all-time record. It is funny how the media, along with everybody else, conveniently forgets these facts when forming thier opinion about Simms. Image
Image Image
BurntOrange

Postby HorsePower » Tue Jul 02, 2002 12:29 pm

Just A friend

What sport do you play at TCU?
Glad to have you on our board.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Big Cat » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:32 pm

Well, it is one thing to throw a touchdown against New Mexico State,, and quite another to throw one against OU. I am as big of a Chris Simms supporter as there is. However, I don't think he has done anything that is that remarkable for UT. When he throws his first TD against OU, then it will be time to celebrate. I will admit, last year I was arguing with everyone that Chris Simms should have been the starter. I don't think that is correct now. I don't believe in Simms like I did back then, but I will alway support him.

I do agree with you that UT does have the best looking uniforms in the nation.
Big Cat
Scout Team

Postby WildHorse » Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:12 pm

Hats off to you, Big Cat, for being a logical fan.
Simms has all the talent in the world. Keep cheering for him. And celebrate when he actually wins a big game for UT.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:52 pm

HorsePower,

I'm a pole-vaulter. Actually, I'm the pole-vaulter. There's only one of me, and I'm pretty sure I'm the first in awhile. Thank you for the welcome.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby BurntOrange » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:14 pm

Good post BigCat, for the most part I agree with you. In retrospect, a redshirt freshman year would have been great for Simms. It would have given him more time to adjust to the college game, and he could have worked on some of his flaws. He has even admitted it himself, and encouraged incoming QB Vincent Young to take a redshirt. But I hope on Oct. 12th, after we beat the dirt burglars in the Cotton Bowl, all of the critics will be silenced.
Image Image
BurntOrange

Postby BurntOrange » Mon Jul 08, 2002 12:41 pm

You are right, he does have that cloud over his head about the big game. Even though I am wearing burnt orange tinted glasses, I still think he is going to have a great year and be considered one of the best quarterbacks in the nation.
A great running game is a quarterback's best friend, so all he has to do is get the ball in this guy's hands, Cedric Benson.

Image Image
BurntOrange

Postby JustAFriend » Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:29 pm

Yeah if you can keep the marijuana out of Cedric's hands. Otherwise he's a great back.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby BurntOrange » Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:18 am

You are exactly right JustAFriend, as long as you ingnore all of the facts. The facts are he didn't have any marijuana, and all of the charges were dropped.

Anyways, everybody knows TCU has never had any off the field problems...
Image Image
BurntOrange

Postby abezontar » Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:46 pm

Um..For the record, because I don't think anyone else responded, at least I didn't see it when I was skimming through, SMU last beat TCU 10-7 when we still played our games at the Cotton Bowl. It was the 98-99 academic year. As far as doing something to the froghorn, I know there were several 'plans' to do things to it over the years, but something always seemed to happen in route to Ft. Worth, or we figured out why we would fail while still in the planning stage.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JustAFriend » Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:24 am

Of course the charges were dropped, are you kidding me? Look who we are talking about. And I never claimed TCU was any better about off the field problems. You'd be very hard pressed to find a University without off the field problems. But I am a huge Cedric Benson fan, he's incredible and I wish the best for him, on and off the field.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby abezontar » Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:53 pm

just a thought....what would happen if someone were to steal the froghorn....and say get it back to SMU's campus....when they got caught do you think they would get off with a slap on the wrist as a college prank or would that person end up getting prosecuted and put in jail?
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:26 am

They would be in big trouble. In the past, pranks were appriciated, but these days things like "pranks" "initiations" "school pride" and the like are frowned upon. I'm surprised the mustang band didn't get disbanded and given the the music school to become a typical college band after their little stunt.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football