PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU's Froghorn

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TCU's Froghorn

Postby BurntOrange » Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:45 pm

Hello everybody. Great website! I have just recently found it, and it has been very informative regarding SMU athletics.

Anyways, I was wondering what everybody thinks about TCU's froghorn. I've always thought it was one of the ugliest creations of mankind. Not only is it an eye-sore, but it pierces your eardrums when they play it. Your thoughts....

Image Image
BurntOrange

Re: TCU's Froghorn

Postby GrapevineMustang » Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:12 pm

That pile of scrap metal is every bit as ugly, obnoxious and useless as everything else about that team and school. It should be melted down.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby Rambo » Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:40 pm

I grew up 3 blocks from TCU. THe whole campus is an eyesore. It used to be a golf course, back in the day. I wish they would just tear the whole thing down so I could have a place to play close to home.
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Rambo
Junior Varsity

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:33 pm

Couldn't agree with you more, Rambo. The whole school is worthless and ugly. The stadium's an eyesore - to be generous - the students are morons and everything around the school is purple. Not as bad as Texas orange, but still pretty gross.

And I live in this stupid town.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby Silk » Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:17 pm

The best thing to ever happen in Fort Worth (other than any number of SMU victories over TCU) is when the Mustang Band stamped the Diamond M on that field. What a dump.
Silk
Varsity

Postby BurntOrange » Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Not as bad as Texas orange, but still pretty gross.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bleeding Red+Blue,

I agree with you that I wouldn't buy a burnt orange car, or couch, or eat a burnt orange steak, but it is a great color for college football. In fact it is the best color for a uniform hands down. The only uniforms that come close are Alabama's and USC's. Take a look and tell me these aren't great looking uniforms:

Image Image
BurntOrange

Postby PK » Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:23 pm

Looks like they are really good for hiding the ball...other than that Bleah! The only thing more hideous is the UT Band uniforms!!! I'll give you this though...UT's football unis look better than aTm's unis the last couple of years.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 06-17-2002).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTales » Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:41 pm

Sorry - still can't stand that color. (Although you're right about them being better than the Aggie uniforms. Those are really hideous.)

Even worse, I think, are the threads they have at Baylor High. The look like the Oakland A's on steroids (fill in your own Canseco punchline here). And they play football about as well as the A's would, too.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby BurntOrange » Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:15 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And they play football about as well as the A's would, too.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No way. The A's would kill them in football.
Image Image
BurntOrange

Postby BurntOrange » Mon Jun 17, 2002 3:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'll give you this though...UT's football unis look better than aTm's unis the last couple of years</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but what did you expect from a bunch of aggies?

Image Image
BurntOrange

Postby PK » Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:12 pm

Now that is just plain disgusting....not to mention funnier than hell!!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby JustAFriend » Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:01 pm

So,

Bleeding Red+Blue,

How exactly are TCU students morons? Is it because they didnt inherit a mansion in Highland Park, or because every one of them doesn't drive a Porsche or a Jaguar? Just seeking a little clarification. And when was the last time SMU beat TCU?
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUguy » Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:56 pm

In defense of Bleeding Red & Blue:

You might be interested to know that not all SMU students are trust-fund babies who grew up in Highland Park. For what it's worth, I didn't grow up in a mansion (or in Highland Park, for that matter), I didn't have a car in college and I worked two or three part-time jobs every semester I was enrolled (plus three semesters in which I held down an internship) in order to cover the part of my tuition and rent that weren't covered through financial aid, and never had to get a hand-out from relatives or take out student loans. I busted my tail because I always wanted to go to SMU because it's a great school in a great city, and I figured something that worthwhile was worth working to achieve.

And as for the last time SMU beat TCU: not sure. But if memory serves, the series is almost dead-even (within a game of .500) -- that in and of itself is somewhat of an embarrassment to SMU fans, but reality can not be argued. If you, as an apparent TCU loyalist want to "scoreboard" based on recent history, feel free. We then call "scoreboard" on the 1980s, when Dickerson was making the Frogs' defense look like that played in a cheerleader Powder Puff game at Plano High. Then you call "scoreboard" for the Sammy Baugh era, we call "scoreboard" for the Doak Walker era. It goes back and forth.

But I'm still glad I busted my tail to go to SMU and would do it again if the chance ever presented itself. Call it a matter of pride and self-respect.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby JustAFriend » Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:36 pm

I would never argue that SMU is a reputable University and one worth attending. And I dont know enough about the football rivalry history to argue, or to care at that. I was just curious why TCU students were classified as "morons." Besides I realize that there are a significant number of students at SMU that don't "fit the mold." I know several. I was just curious about the moron branding. And I can certainly understand your pride in having done what you did. SMU is a great school. Why is TCU so bad?
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:47 pm

For the record, SMU leads the all-time series, 38-37-7.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Next

Return to Football