PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Nothing ever changes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Mexmustang » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:08 am

If making money were the sole criteria, we would also close Dedman College, the Law School, etc. The decision is really do we want to be a major university with excellance across the board or an also run?
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:51 am

EastStang wrote:"I'm from South Oak Cliff and the Mustangs are my team." Perhaps a radio campaign.

Sure ES...and maybe we can have PonySnob as the spokesperson for South and East Dallas...I think our image as a Rich-Boys school prevents us from connecting to large sections of Dallas.

And furthermore, who wants to be associated with a LOSER.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jtstang » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:02 pm

Mexmustang wrote:If making money were the sole criteria, we would also close Dedman College, the Law School, etc.

Huh? You don't think SMU's schools make money with the tuition they charge?
jtstang

Postby SMU Football Blog » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:19 pm

Don't know about the lawschool, but tuition pays about 80% of the cost per student, according to the University.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:35 pm

EastStang wrote:The Athletic Department ought to set up a realistic budget for marketing and advertising for three years until it becomes more self sustaining. They need to get the casual Dallas fan to adopt the Mustangs. Perhaps start in University Park and Highland Park and move outward. "I'm from University Park and SMU is MY TEAM". I'm from Highland Park and the Mustangs are MY TEAM. "I'm from Dallas and the Mustangs are my team". "I'm from South Oak Cliff and the Mustangs are my team." Perhaps a radio campaign.

I am sure that I fall into the sunshine group in that I try to look at the bright side of most of our ongoing problems, but I really think this type of promotion could have a severe backlash affect. There are "closet" SMU supporters out there right now that will not associate with the school because of our embarassing major athletic program's recent (15-20 years) history. Do not start putting words in their mouths that SMU is their team or they will revolt and provide even more bad publicity. I could only imagine if JTstang was living in an area that promoted itself as HIS team. Probably would initiate a law suit for misrepresentation, liable, slander, or even negligent "promiscide*".

Good promotion would be nice but I think we had better work on winning over the people rather than drafting them against their will.

* the promise of winning programs that do not occur
mrydel

Postby Mexmustang » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:47 pm

It has always been my understanding that most programs lose money and that tuition alone does not pay for their cost. I was really poking fun at those faculty memebers that believe that the subsidy provided to the athletic program by the university thru gifts or income from the endowment somehow takes money from their programs, their special interest. While money is fungible, gifts and alumni interest is not. How many alums have gone back to visit the math department, the English or Spanish departments vs. our athetic programs? The overall "pie" given by our allums would be much smaller without the tradition and success of our athletic teams. Is is a shame that we are now content with the mediocrity that our atletic programs have fallen.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Re: Nothing ever changes

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:40 pm

carolina stang wrote:
My letter goes out to Turner tomorrow.

My letter went out today!!
Everyone please follow suit.
Pony_Fan

Previous

Return to Football