PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Baylor High's at it again

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Baylor High's at it again

Postby PonyTales » Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:43 pm

School: Coach not to blame for factual mistakes

Associated Press
FORT WORTH, Texas -- Biographies of Baylor football coach Kevin Steele are being revised to correct information about his college playing career.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported Friday that updated versions will show that Steele spent one year at Furman and two seasons at Tennessee. Previously, Steele was listed as having played four years at Tennessee.

Baylor athletic director Tom Stanton said he's not concerned with the misinformation because everything was accurate in the resume Steele submitted when he was hired in December 1998.

Steele said he wasn't aware of the error, which was listed in various school and Big 12 media guides. The inaccuracies have appeared in media guides earlier in his 20-year coaching career.

"Quite frankly, looking back, I know I should have studied it, but I don't read bios on myself,'' he said. "I don't sit there and read and say, 'OK, OK,' because the information just transfers from school to school. ... Every place I went, they got it from somebody else.''

Details on resumes and biographies have been hot topics since George O'Leary was forced to resign as football coach at Notre Dame in December amid false claims on his resume about his academic and athletic credentials.

Steele was a backup quarterback at Furman in 1976, appearing in one game. He left in 1977 and went to Tennessee in 1978, where he didn't appear in any games. Steele's bio has said he played linebacker at Tennessee from 1976-79.
PonyTales
Heisman

Re: Baylor High's at it again

Postby PonyFan » Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:55 pm

He didn't have George O'Leary type up his resume, did he?
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby True Colors » Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:06 am

Another black mark against Kevin Steele, to be sure.

However, the term "Baylor High" is going overboard. There's no logical reason for you to make such a statement.
True Colors
Scout Team

Postby PonyTales » Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:04 pm

True, perhaps that's a little rough. But that stems from the nickname someone gave the school when this site first began, in reference to the platoons full of recruits (Ben Gay, etc) BU shipped off to junior colleges every year. I think it probably was said with tongue firmly planted in cheek, but the nickname has stuck. Maybe it's not deserved, but I think it's kinda funny.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby True Colors » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:05 pm

As a Baylor alum, I have ragged on the condition of our football program as much as anybody. Believe me.....I know exactly how terrible we are at the moment.

However, as recently as 4 years ago, we beat a nationally ranked team. As recently as 10 years ago, we were in the national rankings ourselves.

I won't go into all the details of what caused our demise, as I'm sure that most of you could care less about Baylor football.

Having said all that, I would like to comment that SMU has no room whatsoever to make fun of Baylor.

Consider the following:

a) the football teams are about even now
b) SMU has lost to BU 8 straight times(or so)
c) check the combined scores on those games
d) our attendance is still much better
d) Baylor is ahead of SMU in all mutual sports

Now before anyone starts throwing rocks at their computer screen, let me say that I am an SMU fan(as I have previously stated on this very board). I always take in at least a couple of pony basketball games every year at Moody.

It would be pointless for me to come over here just to bash you guys, but I will stand up for my own school, when called for.

True
True Colors
Scout Team

Postby Pony Up » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:29 pm

True:

My wife is a Baylor grad, and I live in Waco - so I'm sort of a Baylor fan by default.

However, while you present some legitimate arguemtns, I must point out that:
* Baylor whacked SMU a few times after we got football back in 1989 - when we were fielding a team of mostly freshmen and sophomores, almost all of whom were grossly undersized.
* Both teams have had success in the past against each other. Not sure who leads the series, so I won't try to argue without complete information.
* Baylor's attendance is better? What other sports entertainment options are there in Waco? None. It's Baylor or nothing. Dallas has everything. Believe me, I try to get to Dallas as often as I can, even if it's to see a Cowboys/Mavs/Stars game, or even sit through a Rangers "game."
* Baylor's ahead in mutual sports? Lessee here:
Men's basketball — push.
Women's basketball: edge — Baylor
Men's soccer: edge — SMU
Women's soccer: edge — SMU
Men's swimming: edge — SMU
Women's swimming: edge — SMU
Men's tennis: edge — Baylor, I think, but even in a "down" year, SMU was nationally ranked
Women's tennis: edge — I don't know, but I'll assume Baylor
Golf: edge — don't know. Nobody watches golf
Volleyball: Baylor, I assume
All of this leads me to believe the programs are on amazingly similar levels.
* One more thing: Baylor's still in Waco. And I'm fully qualified to [deleted] about Waco. Get me back to Dallas and SMU.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby DallasBear » Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:58 am

I think SMU leads the series by a slim margin (36-33), but the series resumes in 2003-04.

I wouldn't say that men's basketball is a push, considering we beat you with a very young team just last year. I guess who wins this year in Moody will give us more of an answer.

There is plenty to do in Waco, but the fact is, Waco is just not much of a sports town, much less a "pro-BU" town. I could counter by saying that there might be a lot of things to do in the metroplex, but also 5 million people to draw from. Waco's a good town if you give it a chance.

Like True Colors, I attend a couple of SMU games a year to root for my old SWC brethren, especially against those ghastly TCU frogs! Image
<A HREF=\"http://www.baylorfans.com\" TARGET=_blank>www.baylorfans.com</A>
DallasBear

Postby True Colors » Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:07 pm

Waco is very anti BU, for the most part

and I still believe that Baylor is ahead of SMU in the "mutual" sports

Pony UP mentioned several sports that we do not even compete in(men's and women's swimming, men's soccer). He also left off track, which we are much better at.

Anyway, I don't think that we need to spend any more time arguing which school has the better athletic program. Suffice it to say that both have their high points.

Just don't bring up any more of that "Baylor high" baloney.
True Colors
Scout Team

Postby PonyTales » Sun Aug 04, 2002 6:22 pm

Much better at track? Didn't SMU finish in the top 3 or 5 in the country this year? Just a different focus - Baylor has better sprinters (maybe the best in the country?), while SMU has the best throwing program in the nation.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:49 am

Yes, but SMU has been CONSISTENTLY good in track and field. Not just a few flash-in-the-pan athletes.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby SmooPower » Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:15 pm

SMU holds the series lead against Baylor in football 36-32-6. Baylor has won the last 7 games, stretching from 1989 to 1995.
SmooPower
Heisman

Return to Football