PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Briggs-Freeman

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Briggs-Freeman

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 24, 2000 11:05 am

I like the move of Freeman to wide receiver, but if Briggs is hurt for any extended period we look thin at running back. Wonder if Freeman can fill in at running back if need be. In fact, I might line him up at tailback on occasion to catch passes out of the backfield or decoy a quick hitting pass to Cunningham.

Re: Briggs-Freeman

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Aug 24, 2000 1:02 pm

I don't think Freeman will need to be moved, if Briggs is hurt. Jason Pipkins is qualified for the position. He had a great spring and had a great camp, I say let him assume the role. He has proven himself in practices and in scrimmages, so let him prove himself in games. I do not think Woods is qualified, he has done nothing to show he can make a play. It still haunts me how Woods played over Pennington last year.

Now if they want to split position time with Freeman between RB and WR, that is fine, just to keep him fresh at that position.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby SMUguy » Thu Aug 24, 2000 1:39 pm

Pipkins may be qualified, but Keylon Kincade is a better runner, and should get more carries. He should get the ball a little even if Briggs is healthy.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 24, 2000 2:02 pm

SMUPonyFan - I agree with you. I was not suggesting Freeman move to rb permanently, just for a few snaps a game 1) if we need quality depth after Pipkins and 2) to spice up the offense. Kincaid sounds like a bright spot, but you have to hesitate at first with true freshman at running back. They tend to fumble sometimes when adjusting to the speed of the college game.

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Aug 24, 2000 3:00 pm

SMUguy,
How can you say that Kincade is a better runner than Pipkins. Kincade has been tested against second and third string SMU defenses. He is yet to even suit up for a college game. He is a good runner, but Pipkins is very overlooked. Pipkins has had game experience and he has more power than Kincade. I say, don't waste a year of Kincade's eligibility, red shirt him and save him until Pipkins graduates. No need to waste years off of good running backs eligibility. Let Kincade get acquainted.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Grider » Sun Aug 27, 2000 9:17 pm

I like the way you're thinking there ponyfanman. I think it's essential for our mustangs to build a good program, and the best way to do that is to red-shirt marginal young players who have a ton of potential.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Aug 28, 2000 12:22 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grider:
<B>I like the way you're thinking there ponyfanman. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the support, Grider, but this is SMUPonyFan, not PonyFanMan.

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Grider » Mon Aug 28, 2000 10:16 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SMUPonyFan:
[B]
Thanks for the support, Grider, but this is SMUPonyFan, not PonyFanMan.

Oops! My bad. I hope you won't hold it against me, but you have to admit it was pretty close Image
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Aug 28, 2000 11:06 pm

agreed

------------------
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Return to Football