PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Less than a month......

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Less than a month......

Postby cobra939 » Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:42 am

Before the SMU Tech game. Im a tech student coming down for the game. any insites, predictions, etc on the game.

Oh ya, and whats a couple of guys for me to watch on both sides of the ball?
cobra939

Re: Less than a month......

Postby Eddie P » Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:58 am

Tech will lose...SMU will win. There is nothing you can do about it.

It's over...nobody listens to techno.

Postby cobra939 » Mon Aug 12, 2002 12:28 pm

wow, with such an in depth response. theres nothing else i need to know.

oh ya and you cant be serious about the such strong opinion about yall winning. i mean cmon.
cobra939

Postby DiamondM » Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:37 pm

I am not the best person to ask as I don't study up on individual player statistics and I don't have a great memory from season to season, but here's what I think.

On the offensive side of the ball, keep your eye on Shanderrick Charles, running back. If he had a better line in front of him, he'd be on some watch lists. He ran for 250 yards in one game last year and 200 in another -- as a freshman. Otherwise the offense is inexperienced and small. If our QB can maintain some modicum of poise in the face of your rush, our running game might do something against you.

Defense is our strength. Quite a few good, experienced players, though we lost a few key seniors as well. Vic Viloria, if I recall correctly, is on the pre-season Lombardi award list. I hope Kliff with a K will be seeing a lot of him. But we've got our work cut out for us. Bennett is installing a new defensive scheme, a lot more risk taking, which of course can be exciting and make big plays, but can also give them up, which is a distinct possibility with Kliffy at the helm -- but no Ricky W., which helps us out a bit this year.

I just really really hope that we are respectable. I told my fiancee, a Tech alum, that if Leach runs it up on us, I'm taking it out on him.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:08 pm

Sorry, but you asked a really tough question. You see, it goes against the grain of everone on this board to admit we might be a bit overmatched against Tech. Especially since we're accustomed to slapping you guys around... at least in the old days.

On offense, we're a bit young. However, true to history we have great backs. Most polls have ShanDerrick Charles picked #1 in the WAC, and he's not even our starter. Keylon Kincade (the starter), Charles and the fullback Briggs should all provide top notch competition. Also on offense we have an excellent TE in Hampton, who is among the best you'll face this year. We also have some talent at WR, but we'll have to see how the passing game develops as the season progresses.

As mentioned, defense is our strength. We have a swarming defense, great linebackers (especially Villoria) and perhaps the best tandem of CBs in the country in Rutledge and Garrett.

In summation, there's a lot of talent here, but we're also thin and young in a number of areas. All of us are secretely hoping that we play injury free and that the offense has time to gel before the Tech game. You guys will arguably provide the toughest test for the Mustangs this year. We absolutely DO have the talent to beat you if things fall our way, but I don't think any of us are betting on that.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Joyous » Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:26 pm

Thank you PerunaPunch for cleaning up a little bit for DiamondM. "Our offense is inexperienced and small". The small - maybe a little but inexperienced? Maybe he was referring to the O-Line.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby PK » Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:39 pm

Joyous, don't mean to be a nit picker, but just thought you should know that Diamond M is a female. She is a band alumnus and a very loyal Mustang fan. I'm sure you are right when you said (s)he was probably refering to the inexperience of the o-line, but don't forget none of our QB's have yet to play in a college game.

I can't wait for the first game. Hope to see you there.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Joyous » Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:18 pm

My apologies to DiamondM on the gender mistake. I have no doubt she is a loyal fan, there was no reference that she was not. I only made a statement in reference to "inexperience at offense". Quarterbacks are important but not the entire offense. Can't wait for the season to start either and will look for you as always.
Joyous
Varsity

Postby cobra939 » Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:23 am

Gracias for the reply's. its sounds like yall match up well. we have a better pass defense than our run defense. I look forward to watching your running backs. one key player to watch out for is LB lawrence flugence, he is picked all big 12 and a top candidate for the lombardi trophy. We have a good pass defense which could cause problems if you have an inexperienced QB.
Everyone knows our offense is all about the pass. If you have good CB's like you said then it will be a good matchup for Kingsbury. Everyone is dismissing our backfield but this is probably the deepest weve been in a long time. Foy Munlins is getting the start, hes 6' 235 lbs. supposedly hes fast too. I already have my tickets and am looking forward to coming down. Never been to SMU on gameday's but it should be fun
cobra939

Postby PK » Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:27 pm

Come early and enjoy the Boulevard (Bishop Blvd., that is).
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby PK » Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:30 pm

Joyous, I was just making a general statement when I threw in the part about Diamond M being a loyal fan...we all are or we wouldn't be posting here. Good to see you back on the board. It's been awhile.
PK

Postby cobra939 » Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:17 am

Good article about your back field in the dallas morning news today. Got some poeple talking on our message board. Briggs sounds pretty big
cobra939

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:20 pm

Here's the link:
<A HREF="http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/colleges/topstory/stories/081402dnsposmulede.73500.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/colleges/topstory/stories/081402dnsposmulede.73500.html</A>
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Return to Football