PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Distribution problems?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Distribution problems?

Postby jettison » Thu Aug 24, 2000 3:36 pm

From all the practice reports and scrimmage stats, it appears that we are having some problems distributing the ball to more receivers.

Looking at how poor the completion percentages are for McCown, are we playing more like Jake the Snake and the AZ cardinals, always looking for the big bombs and in turn throwing lots of interceptions, or do we want to be more like Peyton Manning and the Colts, where we play it more conservatively, dumping it off to our other options (RBs, TEs and WRs in the inside and flats)? I read an article in the Sporting News about Manning, and the fact that he gets the ball to 8-10 receivers a game plays a big part in the effectiveness in their offense.

Obviously, the big play is exciting, and you need them. But, let's face it, many of the teams SMU plays this season have much more experienced and quicker DBs that can cover J-Free and the Comet, and not to take anything away from these tremendous players, but it seems that a bit of dangerous and deceptive tunnelvision is perhaps setting into our offense's minds. I don't know what good setting a bunch of guys in motion and all these new formations in this new one-back offense is going to do if the defense knows our QB only wants to throw the ball 50 yards down the sideline.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong about this.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Re: Distribution problems?

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Aug 24, 2000 3:50 pm

I think you are absolutly right. We have the potential to be a tremendous offensive threat in the WAC. That threat is built around our depth at WR, TE, and utility back. But if we throw to two of our threats, we will not have any surprises for the defense. Every game we should have 8 players with multiple receptions, Brown, Ford, Hampton, O'Neill, Cardwell, Comet, Freeman, McDearman, and sometimes Briggs and Pipkins. That is 8-10 people that should be making receptions every game. If we could consistently complete receptions to 8-10 people every game, name a defense that could stop us?

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Return to Football