PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Scrimmage Report

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Scrimmage Report

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 27, 2000 3:51 am

Let me start by saying I think this is going to be a historic season for the Mustang faithful. I think SMU has the best team since the death penalty, and we also have a real good shot at going to a bowl. This has got to be one of the more experienced “young” teams in the nation. The great thing is, as good as we may be this year, we are only going to be better the following year. But I am getting ahead of myself.

The scrimmage:

A decision was made by head coach Mike Cavan to only practice in shells, which means helmets, shoulder pads, and shorts. The reason for this was to try and prevent anyone from getting hurt. The team went full-speed, but they stopped at first contact, and did not bring people to the ground.

The offense looked a lot better today than they did a week ago today. In fact, it looked like an entirely new offense. Josh McCown threw for two touchdowns, one to Chris Cunningham and another one to Keylon Kincade. Kincade has been very impressive -- I really think he will be a great player for the Mustangs. I was still not impressed with Kris Briggs, but he has been battling a minor injury and the coaches intentionally did not have him go full-speed into the line with just a week remaining until Kansas gets here. Junior Jason Pipkins, who started the scrimmage in Briggs' place, looked very good.

The offensive line continued to play well. It looks as if Thornton Chandler will be starting come 9.2.2000, along with James McCarthy, Rich Nichols, Jeff Erxleben and Joey Slaten, all of whom seem to be very confortable. They really seemed to be able to control the line of scrimmage.

The defense did not look bad either. The biggest surprise tonight was the play of the secondary. Just moments after letting a would-be interception bounce off his chest in the end zone, redshirt freshman cornerback Jonas Rutledge -- who should start opposite Kevin Garrett -- tipped a McCown pass up in the air, pulled it in and and returned it 100 yds for a touchdown. This is the second time this fall that the defense has scored a touchdown. Hopefully, PonyFans can expect some more of this during the season.

As I predicted earlier, freshman Matt Rushbrook is starting at free safety, where he has looked very comfortable. His poise and instincts make it hard to believe he's only a freshman. He also worked a little during the scrimmage at fielding punts, but it remains to be seen whether he will return any this year, or whether it will be left to Connungham and Johnnie Freeman.

Jacob Crowley nailed a 47 yard field goal, and Cavan confirmed after the scrimmage that Crowley will handle all the extra points and kickoffs.

[This message has been edited by PonyPride (edited 08-27-2000).]

Re: Scrimmage Report

Postby Grider » Sun Aug 27, 2000 9:28 pm

I didn't know Briggs was injured, but then again I've been out of town and not been able to keep up with things on the Hilltop. I hope he recovers quickly. Also, I think a lot of the reason you weren't real impressed with his running, is that "non contact" isn't really his style. One of the main reasons I was very impressed with Briggs last year, and one of the reasons I think he can be the best back we've had in a long time, is b/c he's not scared to put his head down and make contact. He's got a lot of potential to be a great back, and I hope he lives up to it. Briggs, coupled with a powerful passing attack, could prove to be a lethal combo for opponents. Also, he's from East Texas, which does probably make me a little biased.
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Return to Football