PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Joy of Tailgaiting Fleeting

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Joy of Tailgaiting Fleeting

Postby PonyGal » Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:16 pm

SMU Cops recently joined forces, legally, with UP police. That being the case, they both started patrolling the BLVD hard last night handing out MIP tickets to kids and harrassing the "of agers". The more hassles they hand out, the less the students are going to come to tailgate, which is the only thing they have had pulling them to the games in the last few years. (that has all changed of course has all changed as of this year) 80% of students in attendance at the games are under 21, and if they can't have a good time on the BLVD they wont have any reason to end up at the game.
PonyGal

Re: Joy of Tailgaiting Fleeting

Postby Otto » Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:17 pm

They'll have another reason - there's a bunch of wins on the way.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby Cupcaking » Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:42 pm

Personally, I think that if the only way you can have a good time is by drinking and you are under 21 at that, there is a serious problem. It's cool and all to have some drinks, but your entire experience at a game shouldn't be ruined cause you can't. Maybe I just feel this way because I actually go to see the game. ...And the fact I'm not too partial on people that get filthy drunk. Image
Cupcaking
Scout Team

Postby Troup32 » Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:56 pm

Go to the game to enjoy the game, and to cheer on your team, your classmates, your friends. Drinking on the Boulevard is an extra perk, not the reason for going.
Troup32
Scout Team

Postby PonyGal » Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:46 pm

I too go to SMU to watch the game and scream my lungs out for our guys. I peronally do not go to the BLVD to drink and I dont think students think they have to be drunk to watch a game. This season will be a winning one and will bring in a large share of student fans. However, it is no secret that drinking on the BLVD is what drags in many first and second year fans.
PonyGal

Postby DiamondM » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:29 pm

The alcohol on the Boulevard may be dragging the students out to the Boulevard, but my estimation is that many (not all, but many) treat it solely as a mixer and couldn't care less about the reason why we have the Boulevard in the first place. Many of the students out on the Boulevard head in to the game very late after kickoff, and I'd be willing to wager that a bunch of them don't even go in at all. I could be wrong on the last bit, since I am in the stadium for the game.

In that case, I don't mind SMU and UP police cracking down on the opportunistic underage drinking. Maybe the students can do what they did in the "old days" when there was no Boulevard, and be a little subtle with the alcohol both before and during games.

Now with that said, I do want to commend the students that attended the game on Saturday. There were many more than I have seen in a long while, they stood up, and we could hear them across the way. Kudos on staying throughout the game and cheering the team afterwards. I hope this wasn't just a one time event because of the opponent, but that the students will support this team regardless of who is playing in the stadium against the Ponies.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby rogershealy » Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:33 pm

i actually danced with the band at the tailgate.I would like to thank keystone light for the courage to do so.
rogershealy
Varsity

Return to Football