PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the loss to TCU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on the loss to TCU

Postby Corso » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:58 pm

Not so fast my friends!

We've heard all year that Tate is young, Tate is inexperienced, Tate is still learning. That's all true. Bartel's Buddy (a.k.a. JustAFriend) said Tate's proven he can't win a game - he's played three games in two years! The coaches aren't asking him to win games. They're asking him not to lose them, and he hasn't. As he and the rest of the young players mature, they'll be asked to win games. For now, the coaches are asking Keylon Kincade and the defense to win games, or put us in a position to win games. And they've done just that two out of three weeks.

Tate has talent, Richard has talent. Let's let them play through their growing pains, huh?
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Cupcaking » Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:55 pm

I think we should fire Bennet and hire JustAFriend to be head coach. After all, he knows wayyyyyyyy more than Coach Bennet because he played high school football just like almost every other guy. Image ...I really never expected either one of our redshirt QB's would just be phenomenal this year. That's asking a little bit too much from guys with no college experience and aren't exactly the second coming of Michael Vick (like JAF would like to think). Don't try to beat down Wallis just because Richard is your friend. Our team would most likely be getting the same results no matter which one was behind the ball.
Cupcaking
Scout Team

Postby JustAFriend » Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:20 pm

First I am not beating down Wallis because Richard is my friend, I am criticizing Wallis because he has been unproductive. If your defense and Kincade are putting you in position to win, then who is supposed to win it for you? You aren't winning because you wont ask him to win the game for you. Your whole program is gutless, and winless because of it. I dont know what bennett is selling ya'll but you refuse to admit something ain't working. And if one more of you idiots makes one of those stupid coaching comments, I might just be offended. Besides I would coach but I would rather save and preserve lives, but I promise you I would be successful either way. Ask anyone who knows me.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby sam » Mon Sep 16, 2002 11:57 pm

JustAFriend,I will have to agree that Bartel should get a chance to play and I don't mean just one chance,he should get the same chance that Tate got,but I'm afraid that Bartel's chance might be like that freshman kicker,he goes out and just misses his first field goal and he is benched,I think the same thing will happen to Bartel,Bennett will make up some excuse about Bartel's mistake happening at a critcal time and he can't have a QB that, makes those mistakes.I am a big fan of Bartel's and I don't know why I have only seen him at practice in Aug when I am in Dallas and of course at the games,but having coached for many years I can tell you Bartel's mechanics are solid,good footwork, arm position and follow thru but I don't think we have the line to protect him.I hope he gets his chance. But talking with some people that I still stay in contact with at the university this ship will fold many people(coaches and staff) are leaving at the end of the year so maybe Bartel will get another chance.Keep the Faith
sam
Junior Varsity

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:13 am

I appreciate that. Like you I'm afraid it will be that way as well if Richard were to mess up. Its actually been that way the whole time. He has has to be perfect, while he gets torn apart for little mistakes and Tate has, until now, been un criticized. I do hope he gets a chance, and I agree that the line is shaky. But we had a small line at Grapevine, and somehow he managed. Our center was like 5' 7". Either way I agree he should get the same chance Tate got, but I doubt that will happen.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby Cupcaking » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:08 am

First of all, JAF don't come on here calling people idiots cause I will act an idiot with you if you want. ...Yes, I know something isn't working on offense. And I do think that Bartel should get a chance to show what he has and gain some experience. BUT... it just seems to me that you think he is going to bring some miracle fix all. And I am stating my opinion that I don't think that is going to happen. Don't have a hissy fit cause I don't agree with you on that point.
Cupcaking
Scout Team

Postby JustAFriend » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:21 am

First of all, dont make threats. Second I never said he would perform miracles. I said he has the tools that the offense is missing. And I said he deserves a shot. He has to have help for sure, but if you make defenses respect the pass, it opens up the run even better. That is all, I never said he would fix it all.

[This message has been edited by PonyPride (edited 09-17-2002).]
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby Phil Fan » Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:07 pm

sam, I'd be very surprised to see any staff members leave. Of course, if someone gets offered a huge promotion to take a position at another school, that's something that can't - and shouldn't - be prevented. But Coach Bennett is totally committed to making SMU a winner, and it just doesn't happen overnight. He's a terrific coach and a great recruiter. Give him time. He'll get it done.
Phil Fan
Junior Varsity

Postby sam » Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:02 pm

Phil Fan,I don't know just how to say this without sounding rude but you do not know what you are talking about.I know of two that are leaving for sure and three others that are iffy,I will know more in two weeks.By the way I was the first to announce Cavan's departure time and date back in Nov. And there is no one on this staff that will get a promotion.
sam
Junior Varsity

Postby MesquiteStang » Tue Sep 17, 2002 11:54 pm

Well i hope Bartel will be ready cause i am ready to see him work and in practice today Tate didn't look good at all. Yes i am a Tate supporter but i think Richard wants the spot more. I would like to see him this week. Maybe your right maybe he does have something Tate doesn't....and to regards as the "waterboy". Yes i am a trainer! And as for Hodges he is a friend too but he is far from being ready to play. He has to much talent in front of him. I hope Tate got the crap scared out of him...but if he starts looking terrible...bring on Richard..GO MUSTANGS! Oh yea and Just A Friend i like the winning attitude! Lets start a streak this week!
MesquiteStang

Postby ProudPonyPa » Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:21 am

Doesn't happen overnight, here. But look at Willingham's first year at Notre Dame. What was their record last year? They are 3-0, now. Paul Johnson's first year with Navy and he outcoached our coach overnight.
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby TheSkelf » Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:55 am

Sam, You don't know quite as much as you let on. I know of at least 2 people in the department that are possibly going to be gone in the next few months because of better job offers.

Its not an accident that Jon Jackson is the SID at Duke and Montgomery is a big fundraiser at UNC. They got there because of stuff they did here. More people WILL move on to bigger and better. I PROMISE!
....and yes, crap is my favorite word.
TheSkelf
Recruit

Postby sam » Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:50 pm

I wasn't talking about either of them but thats two more.
sam
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Football