PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

QB switch?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

QB switch?

Postby 91Stang » Tue Sep 17, 2002 11:59 am

I just read the Morning News story on the PF.com home page. Bennett is thinking of swapping QBs? I thought he was convinced that Wallis could do the job, but that he's still a little green. The story says Wallis has slipped into some faulty mechanics, but that he'll still start unless he has a really bad week of practice. Why? If his mechanics aren't great, go with the other kid (Richard Bartlett) with the big arm until Wallis gets the kinks ironed out.
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Re: QB switch?

Postby babyarm » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:56 pm

Go with Bartell. We need a turn-around and we are not going to get there at this pace. We can't just run the ball, we need balance.
or.........
we turn into a Nebraska style offense and run the dive-option. At least wallace can run somewhat.
babyarm

Postby PonyTales » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:00 pm

Is Bennett taking a page from the Cavan coaching manual? Go with Bartel, if that's what needs to be done, but stick with whichever QB you pick. Neither one of them will learn if they start shuttling in and out every time a pass falls incomplete.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby 91Stang » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:18 pm

My mistake: Bartel, not Bartlett
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby Phil Fan » Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:08 pm

I've only seen one game (so far), but I have to admit, Wallis looks like Coach Bennett's type of quarterback: smart and a good runner.
It will be interesting to see what happens Saturday in Stillwater.
Phil Fan
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoss » Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:36 pm

Fearless prediction:
Bartel will play, will complete 21-of-38 passes for 304 yards and three scores and an interception. That, coupled with another 100+ rushing performance from Kincade, key's a massive upset.

SMU 34
OSU 27
Hoss
All-American

Postby ClassOf81 » Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:23 pm

Pretty gutsy prediction there, Hoss.
Sure hope you're right.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby 5-0 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:03 pm

Aren't y'all glad Bennett made that switch! He's DA MAN! SMU can really bask in the success now.
5-0

Postby Stallion » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:07 pm

As someone who went to both games-Bartel at his worst is better than Wallis at his best.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 5-0 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:10 pm

Yep, sure shows in the old win column doesn't it?
5-0

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stallion:
<B> As someone who went to both games-Bartel at his worst is better than Wallis at his best.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the statistics bear that out.

The ONLY reason to switch is a specific game plan intended to highlight a running offense and throw off the OSU team preparation. If we get behind you can then put Bartell in.

I would not like to see a QB switch presented as some kind of QB controversy, if at all, but rather for special situations.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby mrydel » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:32 pm

I hope you all realize this thread is a year old and was referring to the last year game. Since that time, Bartel does have more wins than does Tate. Let the coach recruit, let the coach coach, and let the coach alone. Water seeks its own level and time will determine Coach Bennett's fate. But in my humble opinion, Gregg, Rossley, and Cavan geared up to win games on any given day. Bennett is trying to establish a program that can grow and progress. There is a great difference between the two methods. I am more than happy to give him a few years and see if he can possibly develope something along the lines that Ron Meyer did. If he can not, guess what...we will hire someone else and try again. But the indications so far are that Coach Bennett is proceeding on schedule.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:58 pm

I think you hit it right on Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Greenwich Pony » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:19 pm

Are you guys on something? While the Bartel kid may not be the next coming of Unitas or Montana, he's not that bad; he has nobody to throw to yet. It takes a while for a passing game to click, and from the sounds of the Baylor game, we aren't using all the offensive tools we do have. FOr a kid who has started a half-dozen games total with a suspect OL, no recievers, and an OC who seems to have one play on his clipboard (hand it to KK), the kid is doing fine. Lay off him.

Why we haven't used any of our other vaunted RBs or tried a short passing attack to take somebody out of the box is a bigger question.

Oh, and somebody hubba the defense and for that matter the whole team. It seems like the kids are still young and we still have talent issues, but Bennett seems to have them playing with some fire in their bellies again. I'm happy as hell to hear it. While it still doesn't show in the win column (come on, Techies aren't bright, but they are a good football team at home, and Baylor has recruited marginal Big-12 talent, whereas we have recruited marginal D-1 talent) I thik it will if the kids keep plugging. I'm no happier about losing than anyone else, but there seems to be a pulse in the program again; one that hasn't been here in a long time.

Now I'll shut up before someone accuses me of attending UNT.
Support the Commitment! We're all SMU Mustangs fans- we should all be committed!
Greenwich Pony
Varsity

Return to Football