PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New-look offense?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New-look offense?

Postby DallasDiehard » Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:22 pm

I'll be interested to see the "opened" offense that Coach Bennett says he's going to employ. Whether it's Wallis or Bartel at the controls, I hope this means we'll see the ball thrown to a wide receiver or tight end before the third quarter. We won't have to play catch-up every week if we actually go for the end zone, rather than playing to not make mistakes.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Re: New-look offense?

Postby Mustang_J » Tue Sep 17, 2002 7:09 pm

We better find a way throw more! Other wise we are going to lose Kincade soon. We can't keep pounding a 5'11 205lbs RB 30+ times a game. Kincade has looked very good, but I really worry about his ability to make it all year at this pace.

Bennett also needs to find a way to get both Charles and Kincade on the field at the same time. They are 2 of the top play makers on the team and we can't afford to have 1 on the sideline.

Wallis deserves a shot at the "open" offense, to his defense the play calling has been super conservative in the first 3 games, so his numbers don't accurately show his ability. Bartel also needs to get his chance.

This year will be continue to be rough, but we must use it to see who can play and then hope Bennett can bring in some quality recruits.
Mustang_J

Postby ClassOf81 » Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:27 pm

Coach Bennett said Monday that in addition to the possibility of switching QBs, he wants the coaches to examine the "horizontal" passing game. Does that mean we're looking at screen passes and a bunch of crossing routes? That's a wise approach, especially if we're switching to Bartel. He's got the arm to get the ball downfield, I gather, but while he's getting comfortable, the shorter passes are safer and will help build his confidence.

Then again, those are the passes that Wallis can throw, too. So if he keeps the job, the expanded short passing game might be the best way to go with him, too. Sounds like a wise adjustment on Coach Bennett's part.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:20 pm

Two words for all you whining about the offense:

Larry Kueck

Remember last year? The year before that??

I’m very impressed with the play calling for the most part. Nothing stupid. Nothing super-predictable. Sticking with a game plan that puts us in a position to win. Sure, I’d like to see more passing too, but right now, I think we’re playing within our skill level. With the exception of the Navy game, we’ve been playing excellent football.

If you don’t like the coaching, remember the score from the TCU game last year. Hell, we came pretty close to knocking off Texas Tech!

Hopefully we will see more passing. But more than that, I hope we see more passing because the QB and receiver corps have matured to the point where the passing game becomes a viable part of the offense.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Dement-ed » Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:09 pm

You nailed it, Peruna Punch. I'd rather trot out a group of intramural players coaching themselves than go back to the mess that Kueck served up. Folks, listen to Peruna Punch. We are doing just that, playing within our talent level. And as the Bennett-driven recruiting machine whirs into action, that talent level will go up and up.

Go Ponies! Trample the Cowboys!
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby In Tate We Trust » Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:39 pm

Just so ya'll know, we're not so blinded by our loyalty to Tate down here that we'd object. Of course we want him to succeed, but first and foremost, football is a team sport, and it all comes down to wins. If Richard Bartel can get the team a win, we'll still support the Ponies 100%.

GO PONIES
In Tate We Trust
Scout Team

Postby Mustang_J » Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:45 pm

We need to get our young players experience in game situations, this is why we need to throw the ball more. What good does it do if Wallis/Bartel go all year completeing 4-5 passes per game?

I believe in the long run that Bennett will be good for SMU and I think he has very little talent to work with right now. But the bottom line is we have to establish some sort of passing threat other wise it will be very hard to win games. Especially when we run against 8-9 men in the box.

Look at it this way, the SMU offense is not always going to be like this in the years to come, so why not give Wallis/Bartel the experience of throwing the ball. Sure they will take their lumps, but it can only help us down the road.

I think we are just really struggling to find our offensive identity, but we should try a few different game plans just to see what works and what doesn't. I expect another close game this week vs. OSU, our defense will keep us in the game. Hopefully we can put some points on the board. Go Ponies!
Mustang_J

Postby Hilltopper » Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:04 pm

Mustang_J is right, the cupboard is a little bare at the moment. When this year's freshmen have a year under their belts (whether playing or even just practicing and lifting), they'll start to contribute and turn the corner. This year's recruiting class will prove to be the school's most talented in years.

And remember, next year we get Comet back!
Hilltopper
All-American

Return to Football