PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bartel

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bartel

Postby SHAQFU » Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:23 pm

I like what Coach is saying about opening up the offense. I like Wallis, but I think that we need to try something different. We can't have situations like the one in the TCU game where Cody is wide open and the ball can't get to him. I think we should give Bartel some snaps in this game and see what he is made of.

Everyone on this board has been discussing the facts on these quarterbacks since mid summer. I think Bartel has a little cockyness about him that our offense would benefit from. We need (as an offense) to gain a little attitude. We need to think that every time we step on the field we are going to put the ball in the end zone. We need somebody with attitude. I am not saying Tate doesn't bring that to the table, but we should give it a shot.

The bottom line is that we are 0-3, and things that we thought might have worked at the beginning of the season aren't working. Let's fix'em and get the old pony express rolling!
SHAQFU
Scout Team

Re: Bartel

Postby ClassOf81 » Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:08 pm

Couldn't agree more - a little swagger would help this offense a lot. And if Bartel can bring that to the field, I say give him a shot.

Incidentally, I read in one of the zillion preseason magazines that some "expert" compared Bartel's arm strength to that of Kentucky QB Jared Lorenzen - who capped off his first practice as a freshman a couple of years ago by flicking 50 yard touchdown passes .... from his knees. Is Bartel's arm THAT strong? That's freakish arm strength, and if he has that kind of a gun, with all due respect to Wallis, we need to give Bartel a chance to put the ball in the air.

Might help keep Keylon Kincade in one piece, too.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Troup32 » Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:39 pm

Don't worry about Keylon. He's a tough kid, and he can take all the carries they give him. But if Bartel's arm makes a defense back up a little because of the threat of the deep ball, I'm in favor of it. Opening up a few more holes, and Keylon will run even better.
Troup32
Scout Team

Postby JustAFriend » Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:42 pm

Yes his arm is that strong. He was throwin at least 50 from his knees to me this summer after he got back from Florida. He also out threw Brent Rawls on the streets of Dallas the weekend of an All Star game a year or so back. The arm strength is there.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:05 am

Stick with Wallis. Bartel will be an adequate back-up. Hopefully, we can see him play a little when we start pullin' away from Tulsa? Rice? maybe Hawai'i?
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby No Quarter » Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:24 pm

Am I correct in saying that Bartel is less mobile than Wallis? If so, I don't really think it wrong that Bennett has stayed with the starter. SMU has generally only had one reliable WR in the game (Cardwell) and the QB too little time to really air one out. There was no way to utilize Bartel's talent. That was particularly true in the OSU game.

Against WAC opposition I hope the line play will be more equal and Bartel can perhaps be used with good effect, although the mobility will still be a factor. And if the WAC teams pull away from SMU, I also hope that Francis will be used more in place of Freeman.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby SHAQFU » Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:23 pm

Interesting point No Quarter. I think you are right in mobility, but what does mobility really matter. We need to get some offense rolling. We are 0-4, mobility has not worked for us yet. I say let Bartel have a chance, they got has a rocket for an arm. Maybe if we sling the ball around a little bit, we can win a game.
SHAQFU
Scout Team

Postby No Quarter » Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:28 pm

SHAQFU, Sir, What I'm saying is that Wallis is probably plenty sore after the OSU game, but that Bartel might be in a body cast!
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby PonyTales » Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:30 pm

I think Wallis is more mobile than Bartel, and most WAC teams' defenses aren't as fast as some of the defenses we've seen so far, especially TCU's. Bartel can do the job, but so can Wallis.
PonyTales
Heisman

Return to Football