PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Garrett

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Garrett

Postby WildHorse » Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:29 pm

I read where KG has been sick with a sinus infection or something.

Even so, he got torched last week by TCU's LaTarence Dunbar on the long TD, and he's gotten beat a bunch of times today.

Seeing as how this was supposed to be a coming-out party for Garrett, going against Rashaun Woods, does this bump Garrett out of the first day of the draft?
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Re: Garrett

Postby babyarm » Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:06 pm

YEP!!!!!!!!!!
and the second day!!

but.............

not arena ball!
babyarm

Postby SMUguy » Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:51 pm

Relax, KG has not played himself out of the draft. His size (5-11) and that speed will get him drafted, no matter how well or badly he plays. The scouts still seem to think pretty highly of him.

That speed also might make him one of those guys who shoots up the charts when the Combine rolls around. Let's just hope he's another Brian Urlacher and not another Mike Mamula, in terms of how well a strong combine showing translates into NFL success.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby DreadHead » Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:21 am

KG will turn things around. He is an extremely hard worker and a guy who takes pride in what he does. Look for him to make some plays against Hawaii -- he is going to step it up big time.
DreadHead
Scout Team

Postby PonyTales » Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:32 pm

Right on, Dread. KG is more disappointed in his performance than any of us fans are. He's played well against Hawaii in the past, and he'll do so again this year.
BEAT HAWAII!
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby WildHorse » Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:06 pm

They don't have Ashley Lelie any more, and he was their only true gamebreaking receiver last year. The other guys aren't bad - I'm not selling them short - but they're not going to rip apart a defense like Lelie. He's a special player. His absence will help KG, Jonas and the rest of the DBs have a great night in Honolulu.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby Higher Authority » Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:47 am

Cornerbacks are a lot like pitchers. They can perform well and nobody might notice, but if they make a mistake, they get all the headlines. Like pitchers, they have to have very short memories. Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling have given up a home run or two in their day, but you still have to like your chances when one of them takes the hill, right?

Same deal with Kevin Garrett. He might have been sick, or he might have blown an assignment or two. But as an SMU fan, I feel a whole lot better knowing that he's going to be out there chasing the other team's receivers, because I know that in the vast majority of games, he's been terrific. So he's given up a couple home runs in the last two games. KG has a short memory, and he's still the guy I want out there every week. He's the best corner we've had in a long time.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby ClassOf81 » Sun Sep 29, 2002 7:07 pm

If we're going to complain when he doesn't play well, let's give him credit when he does. KG looked good last night, with a blocked kick and an INT before I fell asleep.

On the other side, Jonas didn't look that hot. How many times did he get beat last night?
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby HOTSTANG » Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:04 pm

KG ended up with 2 picks, a blocked field goal, and a recovered fumble... he had a heck of a game.

As for Jonas, at times it looked like he was struggling, but like all DB's that day will come- let's look forward to him bouncing back and having a game like we know he can
HOTSTANG

Postby PonyPower » Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:27 pm

Jonas and Ruben Moodley took each other out on one of the first-half touchdowns (the long pass over the middle from Chang). Do you blame Jonas or Moodley for that, or do you just chalk that up to a struggling team that is trying really hard to make something happen? I think it's the latter - these guys desperately want to win, and they're busting their tails to make plays. But when things are going bad, that collision is the kind of thing that happens.

When things are going our way, we'll get some lucky breaks, too.
PonyPower
All-American

Return to Football