PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bennett post-game comments

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bennett post-game comments

Postby HorsePower » Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:41 pm

I don't type too fast, so forgive me if this isn't word for word. But here's (basically) what Coach Bennett said on the post-game show on the radio broadcast:

"Well, we got totally manhandled tonight. That's my responsibility. It was a poor, poor performanmce, a poor coaching performance, but it's something we're going to learn from.

We could have laid down in second half, but we didn't. We had some turnovers before halftime that they got points from, and I don't care how strong you are, that breaks your spirit a little bit.

I told them at halftime, going to watch second half with great intensity to see who comes out and fights, regardless of what the score is in the second half.

We've got to get a lot better - they were just throwing the ball up. We totally lost our technique in the secondary and didn't play well, and now we're fixin' to play a team that throws the ball 45-50 times a game.

These kids aren't quitters, and i know dang sure I'm not. We're going to go back to work and get better. I thought in the second half we did throw the ball better, caught the ball better. But we weren't good enough.

I've got to look at this tape, look at it long time .... like said very disappointed in our defensive play. And offensively, we couldn't covert third downs to keep the defense off the field."
HorsePower
Heisman

Re: Bennett post-game comments

Postby Hal » Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:01 am

Sounds like he's been studying Mike Cavan's Guide to Postgame Interviews.
Hal
Varsity

Postby MustangMom » Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:42 pm

Hal,

What does that comment mean??? Coach Bennett is not happy with this loss or any other - he wants to win and is a winner.
Give him a chance - he won't quit and neither will this team.

Give Coach Bennet time and he will turn things around at SMU.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby ole jim » Sun Sep 22, 2002 8:58 pm

We all have to be patient with the team and coaching staff.
ole jim
Recruit

Postby Hal » Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:46 am

All I meant was that Cavan's favorite line was "we have to get better." I meant that sort of tongue-in-cheek.

Believe me, I have every faith in the new coaching staff. I was just frustrated with the loss, and perhaps I spoke too soon.

Didn't mean to sound negative. I just want so bad for the Ponies to win. And I know Coach Bennett will get it done.
Hal
Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:08 am

He'll get it done. I'M in for the long haul. No quick fixes for the existing situation. There will be bumps in the road, but I believe Phil has the plan to take us to a conference championship and beyond!
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Casey » Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:06 pm

Well said. I'm also in it for the long haul, and when Coach Bennett takes us to our first bowl game, no matter where it is, I'm going to be there.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Return to Football