PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

bartel didn't make trip

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

bartel didn't make trip

Postby stangfan1 » Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:48 pm

This morning I saw Bartel walking away from the stadium. Does anybody know what the deal is? Why wouldn't he go, what is going on with coach bennett and his sorry excuses for not playing him. Things couldn't get worse than they are, and being down 45-0 at half didn't look like the offense was producing. Any helP?

[This message has been edited by stangfan1 (edited 09-25-2002).]
Stangalum
stangfan1

Re: bartel didn't make trip

Postby ClassOf81 » Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:20 pm

Field House? Where's that? Don't remember that when I was in school, but of course, the facilities have changed immeasurably.

I was under the impression they weren't leaving until sometime around noon. Maybe he was going to get his bags?
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby JustAFriend » Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:54 pm

Well Bartel did not make the trip. He was studying for a test he was making up at 6 am this morning so that he could make the trip, and he was written up on a police report for being out past curfew. The report was given to Bennett and he told Richard that he couldnt make the trip. Richard was taking care of his class work so that he would be able to go to the game and got punished for doing so. Bennett told Richard as he was checking his bag, that he couldnt go and sent him on a taxi back to SMU. You all can say what you will but those are the facts. What kind of coach is that to punish a player for taking care of his school obligations? Looks like Bennett is really interested in the good of the program. Oh yeah except he keeps doing things to hurt it. Well you all can thank Bennett for wasting a talented player and you might not see richard in dallas next year, or if you do he might be throwing against you, like everyone else does.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby Cupcaking » Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:46 pm

Stop lying JustAFriend. Bartel is a cool guy and all, but you do not get written up in the police reports for studying. Anyone can go and read the reports from last night and see that isn't true. Don't try to make Bennet into being the bad guy on this one cause he's not.
Cupcaking
Scout Team

Postby Lanacane » Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:46 pm

Just A Friend,
You a damn Lie! Written up in a police report for studying late! Is that the best lie you could come up with, that's a damn shame.
Lanacane

Postby ProudPonyPa » Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:49 pm

JAF, although I agree that the fact that Bartel did not make the trip is unfair, the situation as I understand is not how you described it. I heard he was in the midst of doing some good for the dorm and was unfairly blamed for someone else's mistake.
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby JustAFriend » Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:34 pm

OK, first off, none of you know me, so dont ever come here calling me a liar. That is not something I do. Second, believe what you want, but the fact is he was seen leaving the dorm and thats when he was written up. And keep stickin your noses up Bennett's A**, of course he could never be wrong, and certainly he's not the reason you are 0-4. Anyways, I'm tired of my posts falling on deaf ears so to speak, so on that note, I know Richard and regardless what you think about me, he would never do anything to warrant a police report. He is a good guy and you people are trash for the way you dog him. That is all.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:28 am

Calm down everyone. It sounds like maybe Bartel was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But sometimes it is in your best interest, especially if you are higher profile than other students, to not get involved in certain things. Bartel maybe had the best of intentions, but it sounds like Bennett had to make a last minute decision. And he made it based on a police report. As a coach, you have to instill some sort of discipline into your players. So you have to leave the guy home if he has been written up the previous evening, period, because there just isn't enough time to get full resolution on the issue.

Hopefulyl, it will all be a mistake, everyone will be fine, and Tate won't get hurt Image.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Cupcaking » Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:14 am

Most of the guys I talked to last night were in their rooms sleeping, washing clothes, packing for the trip, or playing video games. The campus doesn't have a curfew for all students. You pretty much have to bring some attention to yourself for the officer at McElvaney to pay any attention to find out you aren't where you belong cause the man hardly gets up. ...But anyway, Bartel had curfew. He took a chance, broke it, and got caught. That's pretty much what it boils down to and Bennet was only doing what he should. It MIGHT have been someone he was with doing something they shouldn't. But if you wallow in the mud with pigs, you're only going to get up dirty.
Cupcaking
Scout Team

Postby Cupcaking » Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:24 am

And I haven't dogged Bartel. I personally think he's a great guy. I just don't like the way you come up in here and try to make Bennet, Tate, or anyone else seem like bad people. People make mistakes and do things everyone doesn't necessarily agree with. No one is going to be perfect and pleasing to everyone.
Cupcaking
Scout Team

Postby Lanacane » Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:46 am

You still a damn lie, Just A Friend! I didn't say nothing bad about Bartel and I didn't say anything good about Bennett. I was talking about you, a person who doesn't have all the facts and is lying. That is still a damn shame!
Lanacane

Postby JustAFriend » Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:54 am

Cupcake,
I dont try to make Bennett or Wallis look like bad people but unlike everyone else here, I can criticize their mistakes. They haven't let Richard play yet, so I cant criticize him.

And Lanacane, you are an idiot. I am a lie? Is that english? And tell me what I got wrong......
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby SHAQFU » Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:54 am

JustAFriend:
Everyone knows from my posts that I am a supporter of Bartel getting to play. I don't know exactly why Bartel didn't get to go to the south pacific, but I don't think it was because he was cited for being out pass his bedtime. I just checked the police report, and there is nothing on there about a student getting cited for being out past curfew. If you can show me where it says that a student was ticketed for being out past curfew, I will start to believe you.
I know for a fact that coaches don't punish players for doing their homework.
SHAQFU
Scout Team

Postby ProudPonyPa » Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:36 pm

JAF,
Man, you are pretty thin-skinned. You grouped me in that "don't call me a liar" and accusing Richard of doing something bad. I didn't accuse you or Richard of anything. Don't be such a crybaby. Bartel not making the trip is not exactly a fact most of us are happy about. Having Hodges as our only net is like jumping into an airbag without the air. Nothing against Mark, but he is not conditioned, yet, and even less experienced than Wallis.
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby Texastang » Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:17 pm

Anyone know for sure what happened yet? Rumors are coming in from the island, but seem a little streched.
Texastang
Scout Team

Next

Return to Football