PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tight ends

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tight ends

Postby Pony4Life » Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:40 pm

I was looking at our seasons stats, and John Hampton, Billy Ford and Trent Hrncir have a combined 10 catches in four games. And Hampton has all of them.

I've read a lot of rhetoric about how Wallis (and Bartel, if he plays) are young and inexperienced, so we want to establish the running game to help them get comfortable. Why not throw to the tight ends? We're talking short routes where they find seams in the defense and cross over the middle of the field, and at least two of them - Hampton and Ford - have proved in the past that they are reliable receivers, especially Hampton. There was talk at the beginning of the season that he could get drafted. But with the way this season has gone, he could be 6-foot-7, 260 and run a 4.2 40 and the NFL won't draft him.

The tight ends would be a perfect way for the young QBs to get more confidence, without being asked to fling 70-yarders and hit a WR on the money in mid-stride. Use the tight ends!

GO PONIES - Beat San Jose!
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Re: Tight ends

Postby No Quarter » Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:02 pm

Has Hrncir gotten any PT? I was hoping he'd be redshirted.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby MustangMom » Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:41 am

Trent was redshirted his freshman year - you can only be redshirted once. Trent always gives 200% - I hope he gets more playing time.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby WildHorse » Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:28 pm

Trent does have much better hands than I thought he would when he moved from defensive end to tight end. But when you've got a Hampton and a Ford to throw to, those are options A and B at the position. They've got to be used more.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Return to Football