PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Secondary

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Secondary

Postby The Q » Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:44 pm

Why not move Jonas Rutledge to safety when Garrett comes back?

Before you say I'm crazy, thing about it. He's a good hitter, and he does much better when he has time (see his punt returns) to stand back and survey the field. He'd be really fast for a safety and could float back there and play center field, waiting to break on the ball to make plays.

And that means that KG and RoHump could be our starting corners.
The Q
Varsity

Re: Secondary

Postby Higher Authority » Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:17 pm

With KG out for a couple of weeks, who's SMU's third cornerback? I don't know either. Maybe James Orr? Until we have a stable full of gifted corners, it would be stupid to move Jonas to safety. He might well be able to do the job there, but if we don't have anyone better at CB, he's got to stay there, where he's comfortable.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby SMUFinns » Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:23 pm

On paper we appear to have coverage for the CB position ( Rushbrook & Medlock ) both of whom have not been in the rotation as yet.

If Jonas was moved to the safety position, then we could elevate Rushbrook or Medlock !

Jonas would then be free to play ( Big hitting ) at safety. What has happened to Price & Godfrey ? are they injured, in the dog house or finding it hard fitting-in with the new scheme !

Then again there are the two RS-Fosh ( listed as Safety ) James & Hunt. Can they hit ?

If we can only hit these guys (La Tech) into tomorrow they might think twice about catching the ball. Have alligator arms, looking over their shoulder, any thing to disrupt a would be ball handler.

It's time to HIT SOMEBODY Mustangs.

[This message has been edited by SMUFinns (edited 10-16-2002).]
Power Mustangs "Now is the Time" They will believe in #PonyUp
SMUFinns
Junior Varsity

Postby GrapevineMustang » Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:37 pm

Rushbrook and Medlock are behind James Orr on the depth chart, as far as I know.

Price and Godfrey are still in the rotation, and have gotten some playing time, although not as much as they'd like.

T.J. James and Travis Hunt are both very good athletes. Hunt is the guy who has the super bloodlines - cousin of Jabar Gaffney (Houston Texans) and Lito Shepard (Philadelphia Eagles). From what I've seen at a couple of practices, he can really run and he can hit. No idea how he's doing in terms of knowing the defense. T.J. James also is a good athlete. In the spring, he seemed a little lost, getting beat repeatedly in practice. I hear he's picked it up a bit in practice.

Does anyone know anything about Medlock? Can he play at all?ˇ
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby SMUFinns » Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:47 pm

GM good insight thanks.

Would I be wrong in saying that we do NOT appear to have great speed in our DB's or are the other guys just simply faster.
If the first is true then I guess we lay off and then HIT them Hard. If it's the latter then lets JAM them at the line.

Go Mustangs.

[This message has been edited by SMUFinns (edited 10-16-2002).]
SMUFinns
Junior Varsity

Postby Higher Authority » Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:13 pm

Right you are, FINNS. We aren't overly fast in the secondary, outside of Garrett, of course. Humphrey looks pretty quick, and Harper is quick for a safety. But if we sit back and wait for the opposition to make receptions and then administer hits, they'll be moving the chains all day. I'm not sure we can afford to go that route until the offense picks up steam.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby SMUFinns » Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:38 pm

The Mustang two Deep Chart does NOT show an update for this week ! We know KG will not be playing, so who will be added ?

Go Mustangs!
SMUFinns
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony4Life » Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:45 pm

As far as I know, James Orr is the first backup now.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby fbdad » Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:00 pm

Congratulations to the team on a great win. It will boost morale and get them ready to beat Rice easily after watching Rice's performance agaist UTEP. The QB situation has been resolved, now something has to be done in the secondary.The score didn't have to be that close.We could have easily lost it.Coach Bennett was in the faces of both Moodley and Harris throughout the game. Moodley just didn't seem to be in the game. It looked like he gave up on the one TD.Pulling him and putting Harper in didn't help at all.Harris is just not fast enough.He hits hard and plays hard. Put some more weight on him and make him a line backer. Humphreys was disappointing on cover.Clear the bench until you find the people who can play these positions the best.If they don't get reps playing the positions of SS and FS how can the coaches determine the depth.Bartel has disproven the best on practice field, best on game day philosophy which I and many others never agreed with.
fbdad
Junior Varsity

Return to Football