PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

hope for the future

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

hope for the future

Postby ponyman » Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:28 pm

if anyone needs inspiration, i suggest you look at iowa state. dan mccarney, the coach there suffered through five losing seasons including a 2-9 and 1-10. now they are nationally ranked with a quarterback who is being touted for the heisman. keep the faith, baby.
ponyman
Recruit

Re: hope for the future

Postby RedRiverPony » Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:12 pm

That's true, they were ready to run MCarney out of Iowa State in his first year. I bet every Cyclone fan who was calling for his head back then is in his corner now!
Have faith in Coach Bennett. He's going to turn this around faster than you might think.
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:22 pm

Dan McCarney at Iowa State.
Bill Snyder at Kansas State.
Bob Stoops at Oklahoma.
Lou Holtz and South Carolina.

There are countless examples of great coaches who have to start from scratch. I'd say those four have turned out OK. Looking forward to the day, which is coming soon, that we can add Phil Bennett to that list.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby ponytalk » Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:49 am

Franchioni @ TCU, where Bennett was on board when they went 0-10 and beat SMU to turn everything around.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Horseradish » Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:34 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ponytalk:
<B>Franchioni @ TCU, where Bennett was on board when they went 0-10 and beat SMU to turn everything around.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but thats not quite right. The 1-11 season was Pat Sullivans last year as head coach. Neither Franchione or Bennett were there then. The next year was Franchiones first season, and they went from 1-11 to 7-5 and a bowl game in his first year.
Horseradish
Recruit

Postby PK » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:04 am

That was a case where they had the horses, but needed a coach that knew how to use them. We on the other hand are short on horses. I know these kids are working their tails off to make this work, but let's face it...they are for the most part undersized compared to most of the D-1 teams we play. They are all good kids and I respect them for their efforts and am proud of them. I still believe we have some wins on the horizon...starting tomorrow. It was just unrealistic to think that with a redshirt freshman QB who played tight end on the scout team last year that we were going to go out and beat a bunch of other teams. We have looked respectable in many games, but we just have too many things working against us.

I have faith that given a few years to increase the number of horses on our team, Bennett will be a good coach for us.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponytalk » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:23 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Horseradish:
<B> Sorry, but thats not quite right. The 1-11 season was Pat Sullivans last year as head coach. Neither Franchione or Bennett were there then. The next year was Franchiones first season, and they went from 1-11 to 7-5 and a bowl game in his first year.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually you are correct that it was Sullivans last year. But Bennett was the D-coordinator. It was 1997 when TCU went 1-11 and Bennett was there. I just had the head coach wrong. I just checked the media guides. Bob Fello was a coach on that team also.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby sam » Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:18 pm

Ya'll all forget something, all of those coaches were good. Someone used the example of Synder at K State,he came in and won the respect of the players and coaches and they would have done anything for him.bennett is just the opposite he has alienated himself against the players and coaches.All of the examples some of you used about coaches that lost their first year and then turned the program around you can give as many examples about coaches that turned it around the first year,Fran at TCU,Jones in Hawaii and this year Willingham at Notre Dame.The difference is they are good game coaches,bennett is not and why should we pay this man to "learn to coach" and PK before you go off I think we had this discussion the other day and the first example I gave you was bennett walking off the field with 45 seconds left and the ball at midfield,you defended him and this week I read on the net that bennett now admits it was a mistake. This happens every game and it has cost us wins.In the last game it was early in the 4th and we were down 3 scores(2 td's &1 fg) it was 4th and 4 from the 10,KICK THE FIELD GOAL and you are down two scores and build some momentum,he goes for it and we are still down three sores because we did not make it.He is a horrible game coach he needs to be the head coach and wear his headset and look important but keep his mouth shut and let the people coach that know how to coach.And what is this deal about pulling Bartel after he drives them down the field for a score and he puts Wallis back in so he can get the TD.I think Bartel looked good,I know he threw the INT at the end of the game,so what he was trying to make something happen.I will ask again what has bennett done for SMU.
I remember last year everyone was griping about Cavan and thought he was a bad coach because of all the turnovers that cost us some wins.Almost everyone agreed that it was a coaching flaw that a team had that many turnovers,if that is true the same logic should apply to bennett.I do not think that Cavan was the best game coach but he was leap years ahead of bennett and I would guess that we would have at least three wins this year by now.I am ashamed of what bennett has done to SMU football.I want to know where is the ROI on "The Commitment"
sam
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:41 pm

Hey sam, I don't want to argue with you...at least not right now. We have our difference of opinion, but let me encourage you to go over to the other site (Mustangmaniacs.com) and click on the sidebar area called "5 With Phil". It's where Bennett answers questions asked of him and it's been updated yesterday. I think he is pretty up front with his answers and as you pointed out, he is willing to admit when he has made a mistake.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sam » Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:44 pm

That is where I found it for my post,I pointed it out after the game.Him willing to admit it a week later only makes him look like a worst coach than I thought he was.He should have known it after the game when the reporters questioned him about it.
sam
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangMom » Sun Oct 20, 2002 7:10 pm

It didn't look like Bennett has alienated the players to me - I was at the L.A. Tech game and saw their reaction when Bennett got his first win as the Mustang's coach.

I am in Coach Bennett's corner. He is tough, tough - but I think he is instilling disclipline and a tough work ethic. I think he will get the most out of his players and recruit well. Give the coach a chance to prove himself.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:53 pm

Sam, you obviously have not been around the locker room, around ANY of the current SMU players, or around the program at all. I don't know where you got the idea that Bennett has alienated himself from his players. Bennett is one of the most caring, kindest, and understanding coaches I've ever had the chance to be around. His entire staff is outstanding at relating to the players. Mom is right...did u happen to be paying attention when Bennett was being carried on the field, the ice water dumped on him, the players hugging and squeezing the poor guy like he was a rag doll? Sure the guy seems tough, and he is at practice, AS IS ANY DECENT COACH. I understand you've been frustrated, but give Coach some credit. Cavan left this program with some very bitter players and the team Bennett inherited is much different now. So, wow, please don't bash Bennett unless you know the story bud.

[This message has been edited by SMUStudent06 (edited 10-25-2002).]

Postby Pony4Life » Fri Oct 25, 2002 2:03 pm

Amen!
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby sam » Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:38 pm

I saw one player and one asst.weight coach carry him. How many of the seniors did you see.I'll confess I'm older and my eyesight is not as good as yours,how many were there?
sam
Junior Varsity

Postby Cupcaking » Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:10 pm

You must have only saw the picture in the DMN. ...But anyway, no one that I know of has ever said Coach Bennet was alienating himself. I have probably asked at least 10 guys (who I know will be brutally honest with me) their feelings on him and they all like him. Take it for what it's worth. But I'll believe what they say since they are the ones working with him everyday.
Cupcaking
Scout Team

Next

Return to Football