PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Awesome. Great game.Post your thoughts

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Awesome. Great game.Post your thoughts

Postby rogershealy » Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:07 pm

There was not a single person on that team that did not contribute today. Congrats to coach Bennett on a very postponed first victory. I think I broke my leg rushing the field. Boo ya. Also, Ed Pachecano-where were you when the clock ran out? HMMMMMMMMM
rogershealy
Varsity

Re: Awesome. Great game.Post your thoughts

Postby Cupcaking » Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:23 pm

I am so happy for our guys!!! I'm glad they have something to celebrate this weekend because they deserve to win with all the work they put into practices. I hope the momentum carries on into the next week. I love you guys! ...I rushed the field too but I ran by one of the yellow jacket guys. No hopping over the wall and ankle breaking for me.
Cupcaking
Scout Team

Postby ProudPonyPa » Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:42 pm

I couldn't make the game, but we listened to most of it. Sounds like EVERYONE stepped up their game.

I heard some great things from:

Cardwell - 84 yd touchdown reception
Hampton - all over the field, got his 100th reception, today)
Viloria - had his name mentioned a lot with stops and great plays.
Croy - blocked extra point
Bartel - 286? yds passing, 3TD's, 1 int
Kincade - over 150 yds rushing

That is from the top of my head and from listening only. Wish I could have made it!

Go Mustangs!!
ProudPonyPa
Varsity

Postby JHHSFAN » Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:52 pm

Great game today! Overall the effort was great all the way around. A few lapses when we got up 31-10, but the end result was what counted. Bartel had a great game. The one interception was where he forced, but he quickly settled down and got into a rhythm. Enjoy it Richard! Keep you feet on the ground, we have a few more weeks to go to get some momentum for next year, but Richard left no question, he should be starting. That it was classy of Tate to be one of the first to congratulate him. Shows he is a team player. Now let's get on a roll Ponies!!!
JHHSFAN

Postby Grider » Sun Oct 20, 2002 2:02 am

Wow! What a performance today! Bartel and Stansbury were, in my opinion, the difference makers tonight. We had the same solid play by our regular starters(i.e. Viloria, Kincaid, and Hampton), but both of these guys made plays. It made the difference in winning or losing today. They really put that little extra umph on their respective sides of the ball. It's really been what we've been needing all season.

Congrats to the team and coaches!

Here's to the rest of the season!

Kick 'em!
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Postby MustangMom » Sun Oct 20, 2002 7:13 pm

We were there for the Victory!!! Mustangs, every one of you left everything on the field. Stellar play! The game was so exciting - what a team effort. Congratulations to all. NOW BEAT RICE.
Let's get on a roll and rack up some W's.

And, great catch Trent Hrncir!!!

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUguy » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:00 am

100 catches for Cardwell and Hampton. Congratulations to both of you!
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Eddie P » Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:53 pm

Rogers-

I do not understand your question. If you are asking where I was when the game ended, well I think you know the answer to that question. If your question was concerning whether or not I stormed the field, the answer is: "No." I tend not to run on the field in those instances. And although I was happy to see people running on the field, I guess I'm of the opinion that only truly historic wins deserve that treatment. (Though this was a win we desperately, desperately needed)

And I had a friend from New York in town that I was hosting so I thought it might have been rude to just leave them there.

But I am HAPPY. You have absolutely no idea how HAPPY.

Postby HorsePower » Mon Oct 21, 2002 1:08 pm

Time for the players to all grow Bennett-like mustaches as a tribute to Coach for his first win!

And I still think they should make up fake mustaches for the players to wear on their facemasks.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:08 pm

As much as I dread reading the Monday morning flap from Sam and JustAFriend, I just have to say it’s a great day to be a ponyfan. Before the game I thought we would match up well against LA Tech. Like several people, I thought an upset might be in the making. But I never thought we would get into an aerial shootout with LA Tech and come out on top.

Bartel looked good. No doubt about it. With Luke McCown on the field, who ever would have thought the better QB would be wearing Red and Blue?

That said, even after Saturday’s performance, I think any second-guessing of the coach or the QB situation is foolishness. I will say, however, that if our objective is to run the spread offense, Bartel (if for no other reason than his style of play), makes more sense. Here’s what Bartel and his style QB gives us: 1. We have a light, young O-line. Getting torched consistently keeps opposing linebackers and safeties honest and keeps them out of the box. 2. We had nearly double LA Tech’s fist downs and time of possession. Time of possession gives our defense much needed rest and some reserve for the 4th qtr. I think this clearly paid off on LA Tech’s last series when a) Ieremia-Stansbury ran down McCown for a 10-yard sack and b) when Adami flushed McCown on their last play causing him to under throw a wide open receiver deep – allowing Rutledge to catch up and breakup what looked to be a pretty easy six points. 3. Gives us more options and more offensive unpredictability 4. Instead of those useless swing passes, we’re throwing 10-yard, 1st down completions that sustain drives.

In short, in many ways, Bartel’s strengths make our team more effective on both sides of the ball.

I think LA Tech came to stop the run, and I think they’d been practicing with that goal in mind for two weeks. We rolled out a more aggressive offense with a legitimate passing attack, and they weren’t ready for it. Before we get too euphoric, REMEMBER HOWEVER, that LA Tech themselves had serious doubts about the quality of their secondary. Pass defense was their weakness, but at least we exploited it this week!

If it weren’t for a couple of busted plays. This game wouldn’t have been such a nail-biter. Last week, I was incorrect in criticizing Cavan for his statement about Moodley being the player most likely to go to the NFL. After the past few week’s performance, I’d have to agree with him. Moodley SHOULD go to the NFL... As a Field Judge... You know, the guy who stands around in the defensive backfield, watches receivers, and tries to stay out of everybody’s way... Jeez!

Other than that, I'd have to save our DBs did a pretty credible job slowing those guys down.

Looks like getting Don Ieremia-Stansbury on the field was a great move. Maybe he’ll bulk up and become the next incarnation of Kevin Aldridge?? Also have to mention the 83-yarder to Cardwell... I don’t think I’ve ever seen Cardwell catch the ball in full stride. Let me tell you, that kid can flat out fly! Also was really encouraging to see the ball get spread around like that and to see the tight ends get back into the game plan.

Hopefully we'll see more of the same this Saturday! Good job guys!!
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby WildHorse » Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:17 pm

You're right about 2 things:

1. Can't believe we haven't heard anything from JustAFriend after his best buddy lit up the Bulldogs.

2. How nice to see the ball thrown to the tight ends again! Hampton is just too damn good to not the throw the ball to him. And now we're pulling the wraps off our secret weapon - Trent Hrncir!

Toss Billy Ford in there in a 3-tight end set, and watch defensive coordinators call up their psychiatrists on speed-dial!
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:57 pm

Speaking of...

Did anyone else spot #17 in the backfield? Too cool!
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:49 pm

And just think of the setup possibilities...

I bet one of these times, instead of blocking, Ford slides out for a little dump screen pass. Ohhh, I likte it!
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby JustAFriend » Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:34 pm

First of all it would be ridiculous for me to come on here saying anything. I didnt do anything to talk about. Also its not my style, believe it or not. My sole purpose when I first visited this board was to see what the fans talk about, and then it seemed like everyone had all but forgotten Richard so I wanted to let ya'll know what he was capable of. I will admit that I let that get out of hand. I did very much enjoy the game, and I thought it was great that the entire team was firing on all cylinders and we all got to see what they are capable of. Of course I'm proud of Richard but he's just grateful he got to play. He was and always is incredibly humble. Please dont mistake me for the kind of person to fire "I told you so's" because thats not me. I think the team earned a much deserved win and I hope they can continue that throughout the rest of the season. Good Luck the rest of the way and I'll be there when I can.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby Big Easy Pony » Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:41 pm

Hey JustAFriend, go ahead and crow a little bit. If Bartel is your buddy, sing his praises. He played a hell of a game.

And I want to thank all the Mustangs - that win made my drive home really enjoyable!
Big Easy Pony
Varsity

Next

Return to Football