PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Don Ieremia-Stansbury

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Don Ieremia-Stansbury

Postby DallasDiehard » Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:09 am

From the Morning Snooze:

"SMU linebacker moves permanently to end

Don Ieremia-Stansbury, a redshirt freshman from El Paso Irvin, moves from reserve linebacker to starting defensive end. Ieremia-Stansbury (6-2, 225) spent the year on special teams before making his first start at end against Louisiana Tech. His line with only four days of practice at the position: seven tackles, two sacks and five quarterback pressures. Coach Phil Bennett said likes his playmaking ability and speed at end, where Eric Peterson moves to backup."

– Rick Alonzo
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Re: Don Ieremia-Stansbury

Postby EP Pony Fan » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:07 pm

This is a great move. His brothers were great players, and Don will be, too. He was great in high school, and he'll make all the PonyFans proud with his performance at SMU. Hopefully he can add some size and strength, now that he's locked in at defensive end, but it's his speed that will really set him apart. For a guy his size, he's amazingly strong, and he'll continue to get better.
EP Pony Fan
Varsity

Postby MustangFan » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:16 pm

His one-handed sack at the beginning of the game really set the tone and seemed to give the Ponies a sense that this was the week that the winning would begin. Great game, #30.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby Cupcaking » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:51 pm

Image I hope Coach Giles still rotates Melvin Williams in the lineup. Since he is my favorite player and all. Image Image

But Congratulations to Don on a good game and finding a spot that fits him on the team. Image

[This message has been edited by Cupcaking (edited 10-23-2002).]
Cupcaking
Scout Team

Postby PonyTales » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:18 pm

Didn't Melvin start on the other end, opposite Ieremia-Stansbury? I thought it was Eric Peterson who was bumped down to the second team.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Cupcaking » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:44 pm

No. He didn't play Saturday.
Cupcaking
Scout Team

Postby Pony Up » Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:43 pm

Was Melvin hurt? Why didn't he play? Coaches' decision?

I'd love to see them start using some stunts to free up Ieremia-Stansbury to rush the passer. Like maybe have Adami rushoutside and hit the right tackle on the offensive line, allowing Don I-S to loop around him and race up the middle. With his speed and quickness, he's sure to start piling up some sacks.

He looks like a stronger, faster Luke Johnson.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:22 pm

Williams and Stansbury are definitely a "different look" at DE...lightweights for the position but they have speed and quickness that can give an OL fits on pass protection. Should be interesting to see how well they fare against Rice's option offense.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Big Easy Pony » Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:46 pm

Can't wait to see what Stansbury and Williams can do when they add a little bulk!

And Cupcaking, you're having waaaaaaay too much fun with those smiley faces.
Big Easy Pony
Varsity

Postby Cupcaking » Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:40 pm

Image He's not hurt, so I hope he and Don split time. I think they would make a great duo. ...I found these smilies not too long ago. I just got carried away. Sorrrrryyyy!!!! Image
Cupcaking
Scout Team

Postby SMUguy » Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:08 pm

Shouldn't Don and Melvin BOTH start at defensive end? Seems to me they're the best pair we have, at least outside of Coach Pratt.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:44 pm

we shouldn't exclude Khalid Beard from this discussion of undersized DEs. He's the lightweight of the 3, but has worked his way into a starting role. Again, lots of quickness at the position but can they handle those big tackles coming right at 'em?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The Q » Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:56 pm

Kahlid is one quick DE. If he ever got up to 230 or 240 he'd give o-tackles hell. As it is, he's still quick enough to get past guys who have 100 pounds on him. Love watching him play.
The Q
Varsity

Return to Football