PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kicking game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Kicking game

Postby Otto » Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:11 pm

Touchdown, Cody Cardwell!

But ANOTHER missed extra point for Stephenson? 9 of 13 this year on extra points is unacceptable, rain or no rain.

PLAY McMURTRAY! He missed one field goal in the opener and hasn't seen the field since, other than on kickoffs. He's just as accurate as Stephenson, if not more accurate, and he has a much stronger leg.

It's like the Wallis/Bartel argument - McMurtray has the leg strength that he gives us a better chance to win. He could, if needed, drill a long field goal.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Re: Kicking game

Postby ponymange » Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:30 pm

I agree with you Otto. PLAY MCMURTRAY! He is capable of making long range field goals.
ponymange

Postby WildHorse » Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:39 pm

And he can't be any less accurate on extra points.
He's got a big leg - play him.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:46 pm

Oh lord you people don't know what you're saying. McMurtray is good for kickoffs, if that. I'd strip his scholarship....none of our kickers can kick worth a darn. I saw Ryan Mentzel kick field goals in two-a-days...now there's a kicker. Just let him do it all...it's not like he's gonna get worn out. He's a kicker. Hello....?

Postby ClassOf81 » Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:49 pm

Gotta disagree with you there. As a former kicker myself, I've watched both kickers in practice and in warm-ups at games, and McMurtray has very good mechanics, and just as important, he gets the ball up in the air quickly, in addition to having the range. He's not only got a stronger leg, he's less likely to get blocked. Nobody is immune to blocks, of course - that depends on the blocking up front as much as anything. But McMurtray has terrific mechanics in his kicking motion. I'd like to see him get a shot.

Either that, or I'd like to see Stephenson improve - either way, I just want the Ponies to win.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Lefty » Sun Oct 27, 2002 9:09 pm

Play McMurtray. There's no reason he shouldn't be playing.
From what my friends in Dallas have told me, he was crushing the ball during spring ball and has done the same in practice. Why doesn't he get on the field?
Lefty
All-American

Postby click » Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:26 pm

06,you don't know what you are talking about,Mentzel never kicked one ball during two a-days with the team.I was at every practice and watched the kickers every day.You must have an agenda,don't know what it is but knowing about kicking is not your expertise.
click
Scout Team

Postby JustAFriend » Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:04 am

06, I agree with everyone else that McMurtray should be kicking the field goals and XP's. You have come on here and responded to every post claiming you have superior knowledge about everything. Now having been in a similar position, since I was talking up Bartel long ago, my advice to you is if you really do know something, take comfort in the fact that you know it. That same advice was given to me and it makes sense because doing what you are doing only makes you look stupid. I think McMurtray should be kicking now, its similar to the qb situation. If #1 isnt producing and the season sits the way it is, you have nothing to lose by trying out the #2 especially when the two are comparable. And if you really are an inside source, then disclose how you are. I'm sure several people here would be interested in knowing.
JustAFriend
Junior Varsity

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:46 am

Someone's been drinking too much (me). I guess I would agree with you guys about McMurtray. He does have much better range and get the ball over the line. There's a reason Cavan wanted Stephenson off the team. In practice, Stephenson's pat's were even blocked by our guys. McMurtray just needs better coaching and more practice to improve his accuracy. As far as the Mentzel kicking field goals thing, I was referring to the pre-practice warmups in the beginning of two-a-days. Mentzel did hit a few FG's and during practice, plenty of KO's. MM actually had the starting PK job going into the Navy game, but missed one FG at Navy and another important one at Texas Tech. Stephenson got the go ahead after that(a case of using the #2 after the #1 disappoints). Guess he'd outperformed until the last few games. Anyway, none of the kickers are extraordinary. We need a scholarship PK or something. Certainly worth one in my eyes.

[This message has been edited by SMUStudent06 (edited 10-28-2002).]

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:56 am

Well it's not like I've given away any inside info. I was a manager (not the trainers). We chased balls, setup the field, tore it down, setup drills, decaled the damn helmets, cleaned the bloody things, did laundry, anything our respective coaches asked us to do, and other menial bs work for 6o hrs a week and not nearly enough money Image But I still love Ed Davidson and the staff--and the program. There are some great people working in our athletic department. I just wished I could have contributed more before I left. Hope that answers your questions. I can now be found every home game on the boulevard, drinking away alumni money in the form of some cold ones. Just like the other 10 of you. Image

[This message has been edited by SMUStudent06 (edited 10-28-2002).]

Postby sam » Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:38 am

There was not a missed FG in the Navy game the only miss Mac has had I believe was the FG in the Tech game.
sam
Junior Varsity

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 29, 2002 2:42 am

You want to look at the game stats? He missed a FG in the Navy game as well. I watched that one miss from the field Image

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:25 pm

I can say that he is an excellent PAT kicker. I don't think I've ever seen him miss one, and he always nailed almost anything under 25 yds in practice.

Postby click » Tue Oct 29, 2002 7:51 pm

He did not miss one in the Navy game, Don't know what you were watching.You might be referring to the extra point that was snapped on the ground and Tate tried to pick it up and was nailed but he never kicked the ball.Is that what you are talking about There was no FG attempt in the Navy game,sorry.

[This message has been edited by click (edited 10-29-2002).]
click
Scout Team

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:07 am

THat's it. MY memory is officially gone. You're absolutely right about the Navy game. Tatefumbled the snap...you'd think I'd remember the details of a game I actually worked. I need to start double checking my facts. Sorry for the bad info!

[This message has been edited by SMUStudent06 (edited 10-30-2002).]

Return to Football