PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What's It Going to Be.....

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What's It Going to Be.....

Postby Mustang Stomping » Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:22 pm

for those of you who think you know how to fix Mustang Football.

There is only one way "The Coaches WAY"

" What's right is not always popular and what's popular is not always right "

Comments:--
1) It was right for Bennett to name a QB and give him every chance to prove himself.
2) It is popular to establish a running game to open up the pass.

I our case it could be said " we need to pass in order to open the running game "
Keylon did not have much of a chance, as Rice where able to push through and run around our OL.

Coach Bennett has had a change of mind about the QB (I think) but has he really (Tate is hurt), Bartel did not appear to get the play calls to pass or was Bartel unable to get the passes off. ( i.e. on the drop back fumble )

I liked the 4th quarter play calling but feel it was more out of desperation than design.
I believe that most of you would agree to this popular type of play calling but is right to put Bartel or any other player in such a desperate role ?
Much can be accomplished by coaches & players during the next three games.
Do we want to see what we have in the tank ?
Do we give our seniors a chance to play & win out (I say we give them ALL a chance)
The younger guys have next season

Let the discussions begin..........
Mustangs Will Ride Again @ The HillTop
Mustang Stomping

Re: What's It Going to Be.....

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:33 pm

Right - play calling was way too conservative in the early going. Had Bartel been allowed to air it out a little (where was that "Rocket X" play that he hit Cardwell on the long TD a week ago?), Kincade might have had more running room.

Kincade, to his credit, is a warrior.

Return to Football