PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Attendance update

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Attendance update

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:12 am

According to the WAC site, through 5 games we have drawn 97,428 or an average of 19,485. The only WAC team that will not comply with the new I-A standards is San Jose St, who did not schedule 5 home games this year and has drawn an average of 10,457 for 2 home dates. They finish with home games against La Tech and Fresno. I don't recall whether there was any provision for exempting someone who is already playing in a conference where most of the schools meet the attendance standard. Does anyone know?

It looks like the MAC and SunBelt could have some casualties and my guess is that this rule could ultimately re-shape some of the "mid-major" conferences.

I could not find figures for UNT because they apparently don't release their figures. That's not a good sign. Personally, I think they've made a lot more progress than we have and would make a good conference mate for us. I hope they remain a I-A program, even if half the current SunBelt schools don't make it. I think SMU, TCU & UNT should be playing each other every year for the "Metroplex" championship and would not be surprised to see that happen at some point in the future, possibly with all of us playing in the same conference.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Attendance update

Postby Fresh » Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:44 pm

Yesterday they listed 11,832.
Fresh
Varsity

Return to Football