PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Redshirts

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Redshirts

Postby Buddha » Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:28 pm

I'm curious about something, and I was wondering if someone can clear it up for me. At the game, I saw a bunch of players dressed who are supposed to be redshirting this year. Guys like Darrin Johnson, Martin Guidry, Mike Benson, Ryan Kennedy, Jamar Bey, Justin Rogers, Anthony Barnett, Reggie Carrington, Robert Gilmore, Brent Karrington, Dustin Morton - I'm sure there were more.

My question: why do we dress them out? If we're not going to play them, why not dress other guys, even scout team guys, just in case we need extra bodies because of injuries or something? Surely the coaches wouldn't blow a redshirt year for one of these guys at this stage of the year. If we somehow got multiple guys hurt at the same position, why not have a non-scholarship guy ready to go out there? There's no reason to risk costing a guy a redshirt year. Just counting the guys I listed there (and again, I'm sure there were more), that's 11 guys who weren't going to play, and I assume there's a numerical limit to the number of players we can dress.

Anyone know the deal behind this?
Buddha
All-American

Re: Redshirts

Postby hpfan » Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:09 pm

I had the same question. Asked Karringtons parents and they said he has been on the travel squad every game and in the one and two practice rotations but will only play if all others in front are run over by a truck at this point.They think managing eligibility ir formost on coaches minds right now. One play kills it all. We have probably seen our last true fresh.in the lineup this year unless they have already lost the year..
hpfan
Junior Varsity

Postby PX » Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:31 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hpfan:
<B>I had the same question. Asked Karringtons parents and they said he has been on the travel squad every game and in the one and two practice rotations but will only play if all others in front are run over by a truck at this point.They think managing eligibility ir formost on coaches minds right now. One play kills it all. We have probably seen our last true fresh.in the lineup this year unless they have already lost the year..</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are no limits on the number of players you can dress for a home game. I've seen UT dress over a hundred at times.
Road games are different though, I'm really surprised that a guy we are intending to redshirt is on the traveling squad.
PX
Varsity

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:46 am

If I recall correctly, Coach Bennet simply wants everyone that can possibly contribute to be at every home game, I guess, to learn the game. Why should they be anywhere else? As far as Karrington on the travel team, I have no idea. All I know is he's good!

Return to Football