PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Unbelievable!?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Unbelievable!?

Postby smudad » Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:17 pm

From the DMN game article...
*"We had a fourth-down play and a third-down play where our backs weren't aware of where the markers were and ran out of bounds [short of a first down]," (The fourth down play actually looked like a poor spot.)
*Bennett said Chris McMurtray was supposed to kick the extra point, but that McMurtray didn't know it.

What are these folks thinking of? Where is the instincnt?
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Re: Unbelievable!?

Postby fbdad » Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:44 pm

I would agree that Briggs probably got a bad spot on his run. He looked like he'd aimed for the marker and had made it. Not surprising the way the officials were calling the game.I don't think its an instinct problem, its more of a morale problem. It's hard to get up for a game with a 1-8 record.Many of the losses were really close games regardless of final score. It's extremely difficult to maintain the smash mouth attitude when a select few repeatedly contribute directly to losses.I wish McMurtray would speak up and clarify whether he was ever directed to take the extra point or not of course it probably wouldn't help his present predicament...A contributing factor could be that we don't have either a dedicated kicking coach or special teams coach so I don't know who should have told him???
fbdad
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyExpress » Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:33 pm

You hear coaches talk about that: knowing where the marker is. How long have these guys been playing organzied football?
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby smudad » Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:25 pm

I've watched our kickers 'practice' in the past. I use the term 'practice' with reservations. Those guys are usually out there 'coaching' each other. That's the way my two sons learned the game of golf. Today they both have very successful careers - far from the game of golf. Had I afforded them proper instruction, i might be retired - living off one or both of their incomes from golf. These coaches can [deleted] at the players all they want. But, until they dedicate that coach to teaching these guys, they'll continue to get inconsistency and periodic poor performance.
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby SMUsax » Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:59 pm

I agree. There's really no excuse for missing a down marker. They are big orange signs, for crying out loud!
SMUsax

Return to Football