PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Charleston Pony

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Charleston Pony

Postby Mickey » Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:12 pm

I read your response to my post. DD Johnson must have another year, otherwise he would have been intoduced with the graduating seniors yesterday. I agree we need him or we are really short at LB next season, especially if Stansbury stays at DE. Right now, if Johnson returns, we are good if no one goes down. As a matter of fact, we are solid with: James, Lee, Johnson?, and Bischoff returning. Bischoff ought to be All-WAC next year. The back ups as you mentioned are all RS with Carrington, Bey, and Horton. One or 2 of them could end up being moved to DE. That means that Zack Hall and any other recruits that we sign might get some playing time. By the way, who is Lewis Baker? I never heard that name before.

In regards to Wallis moving to another position. I hope not. He will be a good back up and may allow Meeks and Phillips to RS and get time to develop. We need a JUCO QB in order not to rush these 2 commits. Up in the air is how bad was Bartel hurt yesterday. I know it was his throwing shoulder and might be serious. I bet the Reds are not happy about that.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what position changes happen this spring.

By the way, Brandon Tittle from Richland was at the game yesterday. He passed me at the stadium and I read his name tag. 6-7, 335, HUGE.
Mickey
All-American

Re: Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:05 pm

The SMU athletics site (football roster) shows D.D.Johnson as a 2 yr letter winner. I know he played as a true Frosh in '99 so unless he sat out last year (I don't remember him being injured) for a redshirt season, this should have been his 4th yr. With only 2 letters coming into this year, that may have been the case? I think LB is an area where you have to expect injuries, and these guys are typically some of your better special team players, as well. Hopefully we will have at least 6 guys who can contribute.

Ieremia-Stansbury was interviewed for the pre-game radio broadcast yesterday and appears locked in at the DE position. He said he wants to put on 20 lbs before next year (stay out of his way in the cafeteria). Lewis Baker is a 6-3, 200 LB at Lewisville H.S who is reportedly interested in SMU. He's got 4.5 speed and would be a nice compliment to the 6-3, 230, 4.8 Zach Hall in this year's recruiting class. As for Jamar Bey, the roster shows him as a DL, but I think he was a LB in H.S. He came in at 6-5, 210 so probably has lots of room to grow into that frame.

As for the QB position, don't forget Hodges on the depth chart, and I'm not sure about Gilray. If those guys come back along with the two true Frosh and Bartel...well, that's what I was thinking when I mentioned Wallis as a candidate to fill another position.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mickey » Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:37 pm

Johnson was hurt early last year and didn't play most of the year, and apparently not enough to letter. I had heard that he wasn't granted a RS year, but in light of not being introduced yesterday as a SR, he must have gotten the RS.

Horton is also 6-5, 215 and he could also put on lbs and be moved to DE. Ditto with Carrington. All 3 of last years LB recruits could be moved to DE.

We need two QB's with experience next year. If a JUCO comes in then Wallis could be moved to another position. Otherwise, he should remain at QB. I dont think Gilray is on the team any longer. Even if he does come back he has only played QB for one year including HS and he will be a SOPH academically.

[This message has been edited by Mickey (edited 11-24-2002).]
Mickey
All-American

Postby WildHorse » Sun Nov 24, 2002 5:34 pm

Reggie Carrington will stay at OLB. He's not as tall as Horton and Bey, and from what I've heard, he was arguably the best redshirt we had on the defensive side of the ball this year. He kind of slid in under the radar at recruiting time last year, but I hear we might have found a real gem in that kid.

But I think you guys are right, that either Horton or Bey will be asked to bulk up and move to DE. Probably Horton, from the rumors that have reached me.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Return to Football