PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Selective discipline?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Selective discipline?

Postby SMUguy » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:57 pm

TCU emulated its Conference-USA bretheren Saturday, ending its win over Memphis with a brawl. Head coach Gary Patterson said all the right things, about how he won't tolerate such behavior at TCU, how that behavior doesn't represent the university, yada yada yada. He also said he's going to look at the tapes and dish out disciplinary measures against those involved.

Hmmm.... I hope so. What I'm afraid of is that there will be serious star treatment involved here. Star LB LaMarcus McDonald was in the middle of the fight (and handled himself very well, I might add - the man is a tough hombre), as was DL John Turntine. And there were a lot of scrubs from the bench who charged off the bench and into the fray. Turntine, I think, is a senior. McDonald, I've heard, might well leave for the NFL after this season.

Whatever the specifics are, I hope Patterson has the juevos to administer punishment equally. The last thing we need is for another coach to tell McDonald or some other star, "Son, you behaved wrong. No practice for you this week. See you at the bowl game" and then follow that by telling a freshman walk-on who will never play anyway "Son, I saw you look at the brawl from 50 yards away. You're gonna run 'til you puke, and then you're kicked off the team." If Patterson does the right thing, and lets the punishment fit the crime, I'll actually develop a measure of respect. Hard to imagine respecting anything about TCU, but he has the chance to earn that respect. It will be interesting to see what he does.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Re: Selective discipline?

Postby MustangFan » Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:45 pm

There are very few coaches out there who don't have a star system. I get the impression that Coach Bennett is one of the few with that kind of integrity. I don't know one way or the other about Patterson. Either way, it's a good point you bring up, and it'll be interesting to watch.
MustangFan
All-American

Re: Selective discipline?

Postby Silk » Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:53 pm

I can't stand TCU, but I've always heard coach Petterson is a stand-up guy. I'd be surprised if he isn't fair and even about handing out punishment.
Silk
Varsity

Return to Football