PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

95-21, any thoughts about the whole thing?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

95-21, any thoughts about the whole thing?

Postby RunAndShoot » Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:27 pm

I'm talking about the time that Jack Pardee and John Jenkins ran up the score on the Mustangs 1989 team.

Supposedly Pardee was 'getting revenge on SMU' for previous cheating.

It was classless

any more stories about all of that?

at least the 1992 SMU team beat the Cougars
RunAndShoot

Re: 95-21, any thoughts about the whole thing?

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:36 pm

I was at that game, and I've never been so angry at a team or a coach as I was that day at the UH team and its coaches. Pardee once had class, but that was years ago. To have a team throwing bombs when its ahead by 60 or 70 points - against a team of freshmen, no less - was one of the most classless moves in the history of sports. Who was it - Jerry Glanville? - who sent the game ball to SMU that week because he'd seen the story and thought it was bush-league on Houston's part? You never think of Glanville and class in the same thought, but in that case, it fit.

Jack Pardee and that entire coaching staff can rot in anonymity, as far as I'm concerned. He proved in the NFL that when his talent matches that of his opponents, he's a mediocre coach, at best.

Re: 95-21, any thoughts about the whole thing?

Postby RunAndShoot » Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:07 am

Via HoustonFootball, regarding Pardee with the Oilers:

"Pardee got no help from the schedule makers in his debut season. His first test would come right out of the gate in week 1 against Glanville's Atlanta Falcons, and for Jerry, this was clearly personal. Glanville blitzed early and often, forcing six turnovers that translated into a 47-27 Atlanta win. Glanville dedicated the game ball to SMU's Forrest Gregg, whose team lost 95-21 to Pardee's Cougars the previous season."

the scary thing, if I looked hard enough, I could probably find some guy selling tapes of that game on the Net also
RunAndShoot

Return to Football