PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We need a new conference...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

We need a new conference...

Postby MustangBandsman » Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:11 pm

I know this is not going to happen next year, but we need a new conference. You know you are in a crappy conference when the freaking NCAA doesn't recognize you on their own site. What I am refering to is the poll on <A HREF="http://www.ncaafootball.net/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ncaafootball.net/</A> It has options to vote for every conference but the WAC and the SBC. That is freaking [deleted]. I have seen this on other sites too, where they list the BCS conferences, CUSA, the freaking MAC, INDEPENDENTS, and then sometimes they have links to "others". Sorry about this pointless post, but I saw that site and wanted to rant about it.
MustangBandsman

Re: We need a new conference...

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:45 pm

while it would be nice to play with more schools "closer to home", the fact of the matter is that it's those teams that are closer to Dallas (Rice, Tulsa, UTEP & even La Tech) who dragged the WAC down this year. Let's concentrate on improving our program before we blame ANYTHING on the conference we're in. If the eastern WAC teams were enjoying the success that Boise State or even Hawaii has this year (and Fresno had last year), the WAC would be mentioned right up there with CUSA.

It all starts with beating someone on our non-conference schedule and we've got our work cut out for us with TCU, TTech, Okla St, etc... Let's see how Bennett and his staff finish out their 1st recruiting class and what spring ball brings. I personally see good things down the road for SMU. Let the "WAC thing" take care of itself and for now, be appreciative of a conference that wanted us when nobody else did.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: We need a new conference...

Postby True Colors » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:40 pm

The MAC is stronger than the WAC, IMO.

The only reason that there is still a section for "independents" is because they have to report on Notre Dame.

Don't blame the NCAA for underreporting on a bad product. Improve the quality of the product, then the media focus will be sure to follow(see Fresno State with David Carr last season).

TC
True Colors
Scout Team

Return to Football