PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2003 Schedule

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2003 Schedule

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:18 am

Ok this is really pissin me off! like everybody else has their schedule out expect for us! I saw Baylor's on TV like 10 minutes ago saying that they played us on September 13th or somethinlike that. So Please if anybody knows our schedule ANYBODY!!! tell me Im dying to know LoL

Go Mustangs
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: 2003 Schedule

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:45 pm

Here's the 2003 schedule if anybody wanted it:
August 30th-SMU at Texas Tech
September 6th-No Game
September 13th-SMU at Baylor
September 20th-Oklahoma State at SMU
September 27th-SMU at Nevada *
October 4th-UTEP at SMU *
October 11th-SMU at San Jose *
October 18th-Boise State at SMU *
October 25th-SMU at Tulsa *
November 1st-Fresno State at SMU *
November 8th-SMU at Louisiana Tech *
November 15th-Rice at SMU *
November 22nd-No Game
November 29th-TCU at SMU

* WAC Games
Mustangs35SMU

Postby PonyFan » Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:45 pm

Fearless prediction time!

August 30th-SMU at Texas Tech - WIN
Yes, I'm calling the upset, as Red Raiders will feel the hurt of Kingsbury's graduation. And we played them tight when he was in the lineup.

September 6th-No Game
Two weeks in a row without a loss!

September 13th-SMU at Baylor - WIN
First of all, they're Baylor. Second of all, they'll be learning a new coach's system, and we saw this year that that can take some time.

September 20th-Oklahoma State at SMU - loss
This just in: the Cowboys are pretty good. Ask Bob Stoops.

September 27th-SMU at Nevada * - WIN
We played maybe our worst game of the year against them and the refs robbed Don Ieremia-Stansbury of a TD — and we were still were in it until the final minutes.

October 4th-UTEP at SMU * - WIN
We still have some growing and learning to do. But the Miners have more.

October 11th-SMU at San Jose * - loss
We're due for a stinker of a game, and this has always been a bad trip for us. Plus, the Spartans brought in some great athletes this year.

October 18th-Boise State at SMU * - loss
The Broncos didn't win this year's WAC title by accident. Very good team comes through in Ford Stadium.

October 25th-SMU at Tulsa * - WIN
See UTEP explanation, although new TU coach Steve Kragthorpe will improve this team faster than that Hindenberg in El Paso.

November 1st-Fresno State at SMU * - loss
They're going to be a veteran team with good talent. Long trip for the Ponies.

November 8th-SMU at Louisiana Tech * - loss
Luke McCown has career game after being Bennett's first SMU victim in 2002.

November 15th-Rice at SMU * - WIN
Seems like we play well every other year against the Owls, so we're due. Plus, after meltdowns against Navy and Rice this year, Bennett and his staff have option figured out.

November 22nd-No Game
Another two-week streak without a loss!

November 29th-TCU at SMU - loss
We've gotten closer in the last couple years, and we'll scare them this year. But not close enough, unfortunately.

And yes, that means we're going 6-5 next year!
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:01 pm

Actually we would've gone 6-6 by your predictions but you made some good ones! Now its Time for me to make my predictions-

August 30th-SMU at Texas Tech
I think we'll win this game because this year we came really close to beatin them and I think knowing that this might be our chance to show the nation what a Mustang really is that will help us out!
SMU-24 Texas Tech-14

September 6th-No Game
Love Having a Winning Streak on our hands! havent lost a game since October 26th,2002

September 13th-SMU at Baylor
I think we'll win this game just because its Baylor and just read PonyFan's response on that one! and you can bet Ill be at this game! first away game I've been to in a while!
SMU-35 Baylor-14

September 20th-Oklahoma State at SMU
I actually think we'll win this game I dont know why I just have that gut feeling that if we can beat Texas Tech then we can beat the to
SMU-21 Oklahoma State-20

September 27th-SMU at Nevada
I think this will be SMU's first loss of the season because we'll have bad refs again just like in 2002 takin away our game winning touchdown in the final seconds is my prediction
SMU-17 Nevada-21

October 4th-UTEP at SMU
UTEP has gave us a fight this year but UTEP still isnt good enough to beat the Mustangs From SMU!
SMU-42 UTEP-28

October 11th-SMU at San Jose
I think SMU will lose this game. This year we almost beat them but let em come back! our guys will remember what happened this year but wont have a strong enough team to do it as they lose in OT
SMU-28 San Jose-35 OT

October 18th-Boise State at SMU
I think Boise State will come out with a big deal of confidence and will go out of Ford Staduim with a win because of their power
SMU-7 Boise State-24

October 25th-SMU at Tulsa
I think SMU will come out with a win againist Tulsa because Tulsa is goin to have to develope like we have to but is goin to get better
SMU-14 Tulsa-7

November 1st-Fresno State at SMU
I think Fresno State will come out strong with a win againist SMU not much to say about this game
SMU-23 Fresno State-27

November 8th-SMU at Louisiana Tech
I think SMU will win this game have the confidence that they beat them last year and Louisiana Tech will stay home with a loss
SMU-31 Louisana Tech-21

November 15th-Rice at SMU
I think SMU will win this game with great confidence! SMU keeps gettin closer to beatin Rice year in and year out and I think this is the year they will finally be able to beat them again!
SMU-21 Rice-7

November 22nd-No Game
SMU enjoys a 7-4 record!

November 29th-TCU at SMU
I think SMU will win this game to ending the season with a 8-4 and possibley gettin bowl bid. like Rice, SMU gets closer and closer to beating them and I think this is the year!
SMU-14 TCU-9

Now I doubt this will really happen but hey it could! Post more Predictions!!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby PonyFan » Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:15 pm

Oops - I can't count. I meant 6-6.

The thing I like most about your predictions, Mustangs35SMU, is the fact that you have SMU scoring so many points. Sounds like you have the offense back in gear.
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:44 pm

what can I say when we have K. Kincade!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby JasonB » Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:32 am

Here would be my assesment:

Above average: OK State, Boise, TCU

Average Teams: TT (new QB), Fresno

Below average: Nevada, SJS, LT, Rice

Horrible: Baylor, Utep, Tulsa

I would say that if we are decent (and on the rise), we will beat baylor, utep, tulsa, rice (rice is at home) and win two of four against nevada, sjs, lt, and Fresno (three lower quality on the road, and fresno is at home). I would not expect us to win against OK St. or Boise because they are good teams and TT is away. TCU is a solid team and will be better next year, so I would expect a loss there as well. Fresno is winnable.

I would say that a 6-6 season would represent a solid year, marked by improvement. I think that we should expect some improvement next year, and not expect to be winning the WAC or going to a bowl or anything like that for 2 seasons (year after next would be my goal). It will take that long for the redshirted OL/DL and secondary to gel.
JasonB

Postby Eddie P » Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:45 pm

I would consider 6-6 to be a good step in the right direction. I like the first set of predictions a bit more than I like the second set. I certainly don't see us beating OK St. That was perhaps the one game where we just got our aces kicked from start to finish. I was there and it was not pretty. Also, that may very well be a team on the rise that is getting better, so i don't see how we're going to be more competitive with them this year than last.

I also don't see why we are so optimistic about Texas Tech. I know they are losing Kingsbury, but this is football and there are more aspects to the game than the QB position. This is a team that beat some of the top teams in the country and they will certainly not be looking past us next year like they may have been doing this year.

I hate predictions, as I expect us to win every game we play, but what the hell:

Tech - Loss
Baylor - Win
Ok St - Loss
Nevada - Win
UTEP - Win
SJ - Win
Boise St - Loss
Tulsa - Win
Fresno St - Loss
La Tech - Loss
Rice - Win
TCU - Loss

Season: 6-6

I could see us stealing a game to go 7-5 as a very optimistic outlook, or dropping an additional two games (which could very easily happen) and finishing 4-8.
But again, I hate predictions.

[This message has been edited by Eddie P (edited 12-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Eddie P (edited 12-20-2002).]

Postby PonyFan » Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:49 pm

Beating Baylor would be huge. Not that the Bears are good or anything, but losing to a WAC team (coming off a 3-9 season, no less) would take all the wind out of their sails, and conversely, beating a Big 12 team (even a terrible one) would do wonders for our confidence. I don't think a win over BU is assured by any means, but it sure would be nice.
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby KnuckleStang » Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:01 pm

I would be thrilled to see us 6-6 next year. I also like the looks of that Horny Toads game right around Thanksgiving/rivalry weekend where it belongs. Don't know why I get the feeling we might lose all our non-conference games (including Baylor) again. Hope I'm wrong. I think it's looking like 4-8 next year, we'll still, unfortunately, be a year away. Then in 2004 (look out) we'll be 7-4!
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:50 am

Ok I've got to make my prediction too..
Texas Tech
loss
Baylor
win
Ok State
Win(they're much tougher in their house)
Nevada
Loss(they have our number)
Utep
Win
San Jose State
Win(this will be a close one)
Boise State
Win(THe Blue Turf can't help them now)
Tulsa
Win(They are really terrible)
Fresno State
Win(we'll be on a roll by this time)
LaTech
loss(it's payback time for them)
Rice
Win(the Mayor's cup is ours this year)
TCU
Win(things change..teams get lucky...it's got to happen some time)
I don't think we're that far away from a 9-3 season although I think we will mess up against either Fresno,TCU,SJSU or Boise we could easily go 9-3...I really believe the record will be closer to 7-4 due to a couple of young team mistakes against 2 or more of the close teams I mentioned. BUT, I will predict a winning season and a bowl game with big wins over Ok State, TCU and Fresno...There you go.

Postby Eddie P » Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:45 pm

That's a very positive outlook!! I need to buy youa drink or something for having such a positive outlook!!

Although, I still don't see why people think we will be beating Ok St...

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:38 pm

Here it is MrMustang
Mustangs35SMU

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:00 pm

Muchas gracias, Mustangs35SMU!

------------------
"Winning ain't everything...but it's a lot more fun than the alternative!"
MrMustang1965

Postby BornRed&Blue » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:20 am

I am so excited about the positive attitude! ! ! I'm not good at predictions, but I hate to say, that I don't think we will beat Tech. Unfortuneately, my daughter goes to school there, spent a lot of the year watching them play, one post mentioned the new QB, who I saw play a great deal when they played Baylor. He got to play over a quarter they were so far ahead, and then the 3rd string QB, and then the 4th string QB !!! They are all strong and over 6'. Wes Welker is still there and he is a quadruple threat. Don't count out the Raiders just because Kingsbury is gone.
With that said, nothing would thrill me more than to see my Mustangs knock that Raider off 'her' horse (I think the rider was a girl this year !)
GO MUSTANGS
If you can't be a Mustang, marry one !
BornRed&Blue
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football