PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ford Stadium

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ford Stadium

Postby GrapevineMustang » Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:11 pm

I remember reading a note in Sports Illustrated sometime in the early 1990s that said that Ownby Stadium was the site of more blown knees over a couple of years after the DP than any field — pro, college or HS — in the entire nation.

Please, Copeland, if you read this: stick to grass.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby Mickey » Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:58 pm

What does SMU get from hosting the College Cup?
Mickey
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:20 pm

The coaches like the new turf. It is quality and it is proven and it will be an asset to the overall program. It's not even in the same ballpark as Ownby turf. Ford Stadium does NOT cost as much as Texas Stadium to rent. After attending playoff games there this season, I would prefer Ford. Texas Stadium if filthy inside and out. And the way they have set the traffic pattern, it makes parking for an SMU game look like a breeze. Of course, playoff games will draw more fans than an SMU game. The site for the state championship games is not set in advance. Interesting that no one seems too interested in playing at Memorial Stadium in Austin. Losing the College Cup? So what? It drew 8,000 each game. People had rather see Denton Ryan, Stephenville or Carroll play football than see UCLA or Creighton play soccer. SMU will get more beneficial exposure from hosting 8-10 high school games.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Blue » Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:20 am

Getting rid of the grass has got to be the worst idea in the history of mankind.

I hate that artificial grass. Football was meant to be played on real grass. Leave the fake stuff for the pro's.

Just when things seem to be going in the right direction for SMU athletics(great stadium, better recruits), some administrator does something stupid like this.
SMU Blue
Recruit

Postby click » Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:26 pm

What they are loking at is Turf Grass and it is awesome.Better than a grass field. It has the blades like grass and it has a built it cushion unde the turf. My high school team has played both football and soccer on it and they all like it better.Yes we will lose the college cup but big deal if we can host 10-12 HS games a year we will come out ahead.And to reply to the post above the HS playoff game sites are not determined until one week before the next game. What a great way to get some quality recruits on campus.This is a great.
click
Scout Team

Postby PX » Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:04 pm

Are you certain about the cost? I know that the first 2 years Ford was open several high schools inquired about having games there, but backed out when they heard the cost. If we dropped the price, thats goood, but I just want to be sure.

I wouldnt count on 10-12 games though. Highland Park put a limit on the number of non-SMU events we can hold in Ford every year. I thought the limit was 5, but I'll ask around this afternoon.
PX
Varsity

Postby Dement-ed » Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:19 pm

Highland Park put a limit on the number of non-SMU games at 5?

There were more than 5 high school games, if you count all the games that were played that one Saturday between TCA and Bishop Lynch (varsity, JV, etc.) and the College Cup.

Not to split hairs, but I'm also not sure why Highland Park would have anything to say about it - SMU is in University Park, not Highland Park.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby PX » Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:50 pm

Games played on the same day would count as one event.

Whether its UP or HP, their zoning ordinances affect everything we try to do.
As I said, if I can make it up to Moody today I'll ask around to find out what the actual rule is.
PX
Varsity

Postby SmuCommitt » Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:45 pm

Having played on the new type of "safe play" turf i personally can tell you most players like it more than real grass
SmuCommitt
Recruit

Previous

Return to Football