PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ford Stadium

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ford Stadium

Postby Lotus » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:17 pm

There's been some talk on the "Other Sports" board about how bad the field looked during the College Cup. Is there any truth to the rumor that it's already been decided that the field will be ripped up and replaced with that fancy fake turf they have at Texas Stadium, Nebraska, and other places? I keep hearing that Coach Bennett wants to have HS games at Ford Stadium, in part to get recruits on campus. But football (and soccer) are much better on grass. PX says SMU would never host a College Cup again if we go to turf.

Is it true that we're ditching the grass?
SMU! SMU! SMU!
Lotus
All-American

Re: Ford Stadium

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:22 am

GOOD LORD I HOPE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if all these other stadiums can make REAL grass look good & last why can't we??!!

typical smu!
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby k pony » Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:32 am

The rumor is that all of our fields are to be replaced with the turfgrass. It will ease up scheduling practices for all teams and allow Ford to be used for as many High School games as possible. You could see the state championships at Ford next year. If it is good enough for Nebraska, why is it not good enough for us?
k pony
Recruit

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:18 pm

If they do that, we not only won't get a College Cup again, we might even have the 2004 College Cup taken away from us. That field has to stay grass.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby k pony » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:25 pm

Which is more important:

College Cup or Recruiting?
k pony
Recruit

Postby Sonic » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:48 pm

I am definitely against any fake turf at Ford. Football was meant to be played in the dirt and mud! Someone mentioned how this would effect recruiting…..have you considered the fact that many players don’t want to play on artificial turf and it may hurt recruiting?
Sonic
Scout Team

Postby PX » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:15 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by k pony:
<B>The rumor is that all of our fields are to be replaced with the turfgrass. It will ease up scheduling practices for all teams and allow Ford to be used for as many High School games as possible. You could see the state championships at Ford next year. If it is good enough for Nebraska, why is it not good enough for us?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you install this new turf are you also going to cut the cost of renting the stadium in half? And tear down some buildings for parking lots? Otherwise, the state championship you're dreaming about is just that, a dream.
The biggest impediments to hosting high school games at SMU have always been the cost to the schools, and logistics of parking and traffic. Renting Ford has always cost twice as much as renting Texas Stadium, and the schools in question arent going to pay that, if Texas Stadium is available, instead. And if we are talking about the state title game, it could be anywhere, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, wherever. I wouldnt be surprised if the game next year has already been scheduled and the venue booked. If memory serves, these things always seemed to be worked out a couple years in advance. So, I'm not really buying your theory about hosting the State championship at Ford next year, unless you can give me a few more details about how thats going to be accomplished.
For the sake of the players, I hope we keep the grass field. Turf is very [deleted] the knees and ankles, and even on your spine. I understand the temptation of a field that is weather resistant, wear resistant, and is available in all seasons. But my personal preference has always been grass.

Whenever I mention mention the cost of renting Ford, someone will always ask me why it costs so much more. The only reasonable explanation I have heard is that Texas Stadium is filled with corporate advertisements, and that helps defray some of the cost of gameday expenses.
PX
Varsity

Postby Lotus » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:16 pm

In response to k-pony, I'd say College Cup and recruiting are both important. After all, we haven't had a football game on national TV, and exposure for the school is always good, even if it's through a televised game of horseshoes. We need to figure out a way to get College Cups and keep the field intact. Maybe juggling the scheduling of games somehow?
SMU! SMU! SMU!
Lotus
All-American

Postby k pony » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:57 pm

my point is that we will never get the state playoffs/championship and the college cup with the field the way it looked this year. I do not know the answer to the next question, but do we lose more having games or not having games?
k pony
Recruit

Postby SHAQFU » Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:00 pm

Lotus, check your notes. We have played on National TV. The year we got bent over by TCU on the day after Thanksgiving (National Fox Sports Net).
SHAQFU
Scout Team

Postby DTown » Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:36 pm

unfort the rumor is true...we are getting the fake stuff and how expensive it is!!!...that's alright, they'll just do what they always do here @ SMU, have the other sports (that already have smaller then small budgets) take a budget cut to help with the cost...GRRR!
DTown

Postby RE Tycoon » Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:33 pm

I watched the college cup on TV on Friday and I agree the field looked like sh@#%. But when I saw the highlights on Sportscenter for the Sunday game, you could hardly see any damage to the field at all. It looks like for the Sunday game they cut the field to fairway length which minimized most of the the lines between the old and new turf. Maybe someone who was there or watched the whole game on T.V. could clue me in to if that was the case or not.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby DallasDiehard » Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:52 pm

It was very short, but there was so much damage from football (including high school) season that they put down strips of new turf 48 hours before Friday's semifinal, and there was so much sand spread over the field that when the players ran, they kicked up enough sand to create the impression they were running on a beach.
Still, there's something immoral about the idea of soccer on artificial turf. It's even worse than football or baseball on the fake stuff.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby PX » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:48 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">O
Still, there's something immoral about the idea of soccer on artificial turf. It's even worse than football or baseball on the fake stuff.[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont worry Diehard, you wont see any soccer on turf. Our home playoff games will be in Wescott, and the College Cup wont be back. The NCAA wont allow playoff games on turf, thats it, period.
PX
Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:20 pm

Anybody know the opinion of the coaching staff regarding this?

I understand the new turf is supposed to be excellent. But I also remember that nasty ole carpet they had in Ownby. Looked great, but our sidelines looked like an amputee ward with all the kids hobbling around on crutches.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football