PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

My game overview

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

My game overview

Postby Jason » Mon Sep 04, 2000 12:59 am

Here are some comments I have... let me know what you think Image!!!

Okay, the official game overview by a not so official person named Jason who drove his [deleted] up from Austin to watch the game on Saturday...

First some general comments on what I have seen elsewhere in the list...

1) Crowd noise. It was quiet at the beginning. Once we had success, people didnt want to get too excited- it was allmost like everyone didnt want to jinx anything or was waiting for the tide to turn. Towards the end of the game, it finally got lowder when people learned to stomp their feet a bit. BTW - I was the guy in section 207, yelling his [deleted] off, and glaring down at everyone around me until they stood up too Image.

2) The boulevard is awesome. What a great gameday experience. That was really, really neat. I loved following the band up bishop and into the stadium. I think that will end up being a great tradition where it will be a sign to people that it is time to head up to the stadium and close things down.

3) Best camera shot of the night- sky-diver-head-cam. Awesome. wow. cant say enough about that one.

Okay, now for the game itself.... someone mentioned that after the first quarter we lost 17-7. Hogwash. If our coaches had any balls, we would have slaughtered them 54-3. We eased way up on the gas petal so we wouldnt give too much away. Notice how the new wrinkles in the offense dissappeared after the first quarter? Notice how we stopped passing on first down (the passing game was the reason for the onslaught of points)? We were running the ball to kill time. It makes for a boring second half, but it killed the clock and got the win.

Offense: Overall I think the offense was outstanding. Like I said, they started wasting time after a while, but it was because we eased off, it wasnt a reality check. Grade A for the new coach.

Quarterbacks: Mccown was outstanding. He had two bad passes the whole night. Freman made a great play to break one of them up from being an interception. That, by the way, was the correct read on the play, but was underthrown and thrown a little bit too late. But it was the proper read. The touchdown to Hampton was a great throw. best throw of the night was when we were heading towards the south enzone he split two defenders with a bullet in the middle of the field. I think that was before He ran the ball in. Yes, that is a capitalized He because Mccown had a tremendous game. The interception was a fluke play.

Running backs: Briggs looks good- I cant wait till he is healthy. Pipkins struggled against a meaty Kansas line, but he will do well against the wac, just wait. Briggs had a nice catch.

Wide Reciever: Solid job. Anyone else notice we never through deep (one throw to Freeman was it). We didnt show that hand of cards.... we held freemban back for this one, he will dominate later. Cunningham made a great catch over the middle.

Offensive line: Good pass protection. Bad job of opening holes until late in the game. But remember- my cousin from A&M went and mentioned that each team in the big 12 builds a defense against power running with a massive line. They stop the run, but dont put a big pass rush on. And that is what we saw last night...we will run much better against the wac I think.

Defense: Shorter comments here. Actually, I think we got lucky on defense. They had a few bad drops that hurt. Great goal line stand. We have some quick guys in the secondary, but who dont have instincts. For example, there were a couple of long throws where brigs was in position, but never looked back and would have been called for interference if the pass was on target. kansas didnt throw deep enough, and that will be our weakness. I thought our line got plowed over a lot and that was a surprise. Aldridge and Pratt didnt generate enough pressure and had trouble wrapping the quarterback up. I think our defense is our week point of the team this year. With the exception of...

KEVIN GARRET- this guy is a STUD. He is our neon deion. Kansas stayed away from him the whole game and his coverage of the reciever was tremendous. This guy is a player. Amazing job.

On the whole, I think our offense is really sharp. We will score a lot of points. Our defense will give up a lot of points at first, but will gell later in the season.

new predictions: 8-4 record. Bowl game. High scoring shootouts v.s. houston, tulane and utep. Upset predictions: FRESNO- we will win, mark it down. hawaii will be a good game because the defense will be playing well by then. Losses: hawaii, TCU, NC State, Tulane (I know, it is just a gut feeling...).
Jason
Recruit

Re: My game overview

Postby MustangMatt » Mon Sep 04, 2000 1:37 am

Great observations, I hope to see more post from you in the future!

I think you are correct on the crowd noise. Ford has the potential to be a very loud stadium, that is the quietest I have heard a hometown crowd of 32,000 people during the biggest game since the DP. The noise picked up during that goal line stand.

I think that is interesting what you have said about SMU holding back once we had he game. I think that was the case, looking back on it. Our offense really slowed down, partially due to fatigue, but I think the coaches want to keep some tricks in the bag. Nice observation.

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUBob » Mon Sep 04, 2000 1:48 am

No doubt Kueck was holding back and just running the clock in the second half. If you watched any Marshall games over the last few years, you'll know that there is lots more stuff to come.

That first drive was something to behold. More misdirection and innovative ball movement than I've seen in a great while at SMU, maybe since the days of Hixson and Levias. Much more entertaining than three yards and a cloud of dust, and much more explosive than that run and shoot crap.

I thought all that misdirection gave McCown great opportunities to look good. As the playcalling got more conventional, he seemed several times to be forcing the ball into double and sometimes triple coverage, but except for the one pick in the end zone, he got away with it. In the second quarter he missed a couple of reads and threw to the wrong receivers, one was a sure TD that he missed; he'll see it on the tapes.

BUT, I dwell on the negatives when it was an overall fantastic night. Yes, we could have tried to run it up, if we had we'd have been there til midnight. Cavan is too much of a good old boy to run up the score on anyone.

Isn't it great that we're talking about how SMU didn't run the score up on someone when they could have?
SMUBob
Scout Team

Postby ALL4SMU » Mon Sep 04, 2000 2:05 am

SMUBob-

It really is a refreshing change to be talking about how we did not run up the score. I cannot lie, I honestly did not think that we would be able to beat Kansas. But now I realize this is a different SMU team than we have seen since the death penalty. This team is for real. When was the last time we beat a big-12 team. I certainly cannot remember. I always thought that if we were able to beat Kansas, that it would set the stage for a truely magical year. I think we are in for some real good things this fall. Here is to the Mustangs!!!!
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby SMUBob » Mon Sep 04, 2000 2:18 am

All 4SMU:

I liked what I saw also. I am not all that familiar with our personnel, but I don't think last night was a fluke.

However, Kansas did do just about everything possible in the first quarter to play themselves out of the game. All we basically had to do was to stay out of their way while they were self-destructing. But even without their joke of a punt team, we still would have won that game. We might have seen more of the playbook, but we'd have won.

Let's see how they respond in the next two weeks. Classic SMU would be to lay a giant friggin' egg out in El Paso. I bet Cavan runs the hell out of the guys this week and keeps them sharp, but it's a dangerous week for a young team that might think they are good enough to mail it in against UTEP. They aren't that good.

If we're up 2-0 and hit the road for NC State, then we'll get to see what we have. Not that NC State is that strong, but it's another major conference state school, this time on the road. We won't be expected to win that game, which is probably good.

I have been through too many long seasons (we all have) than to start figuring out based on Saturday how many games we are going to win this year.

But it was a helluva start, wasn't it?
SMUBob
Scout Team

Postby ALL4SMU » Mon Sep 04, 2000 2:26 am

I could not have imagined it any better. What a way to start the New SMU Football Era than with A win of a major state school in a brand new, state of the art, sold-out stadium. I am just so proud to be a Mustang right now. We won, and we won with class.

I agree with you, it is way too early to make prediction on how far we will go this soon. I just know it is somewhere in the middle of winning the rest of our games and losing the rest of our games. I will say that we have a legit shot at a bowl game this year. I would love to see SMU play in a bowl game. The last time SMU was in a bowl game I think I was 6 years old and I was not even an SMU fan...

We have a lot to be proud of. We have re-built this program the right way. I hope things continue to go out way. I am so happy for the Mustangs.

I agree, I think we can expect Cavan to work the players hard this week in preperations for the UTEP game. If we could win that game, it would be a huge confidence builder. When was the last time SMU started a season of 2-0.

I think it will be a tough game, but one we certainly can win.
\"Show me a happy and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.\"- Knute Rockne
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby ALL4SMU » Mon Sep 04, 2000 2:27 am

oh, and yes, it was a hell of a start!
ALL4SMU
Varsity

Postby Jason » Tue Sep 05, 2000 12:49 pm

As far as running up the score is concerned...

Remember that most teams that run the score up are traditional running teams (such as nebraska). These teams try and run the clock out, but are such good running teams that they score anyway. There are only a few passing based offenses that will run up the score (florida) and that is just because their coach is a jerk.
Jason
Recruit

Return to Football