PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Longhorns at SMU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Longhorns at SMU

Postby PK » Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:47 pm

If you haven't noticed or live outside of the Dallas area, the UT longhorns are utilizing our football facilities as they prepare for the Cotton Bowl game. Not that it really does anything for us except some of their local fans will get a look at our stadium and just maybe will come to an SMU game some time....well maybe...
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Longhorns at SMU

Postby Nacho » Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:12 pm

It can't hurt to have UT happy with us. I think the Big 12 representative, when they are in the Cotton Bowl, always works out at SMU. I guess this means that LSU is practing at Irving Schools Stadium, which I hear is newly renovated. Should be a good game.
Nacho

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:27 pm

LSU you practicing at Texas Staduim in Austin dont ask me why?! but thats what it says on the Cotton Bowl Website!!

and if anybody cares!!!
Oklahoma State-13 Southern Miss-13 in the 2nd Quarter!

------------------
Home of the 1935 Nation Champions! the SMU Mustangs!
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Nacho » Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:00 pm

LSU is parcticing in Austin at UT's facilities? I don't think I've ever heard of that. Interesting. I guess I'm pulling for OSU but it really doesn't matter much to me. I
Nacho

Postby Nacho » Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:28 pm

LSU is practicing at Texas Stadium in Irving. I knew that didn't sound right about Austin. Texas hospitality only goes so far, you know. Trivia question: who does UT refer to as the sand ags?
Nacho

Postby SMU Blue » Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:17 am

Does anybody know what days and time the Longhorns are practicing? I might stop by to check it out.

Answer to above question: Texas Tech
SMU Blue
Recruit

Postby DTown » Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:03 am

yes I do...
they are practicing 9:45-1:00ish (10-12 on the field, rest of the time lifting) and only having one practice on saturday and sunday. As for Monday and Tuesday I believe they are having two-a-days, just not sure what time the second practices are...hope that helps! Image

-Go 'Stangs!
DTown

Postby PK » Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:03 pm

From what I've read in the paper, the practices are closed and they have moved them into Ford Stadium to ensure they are closed. Don't know if you will be able to see much, though you might be able to see the field through the fence at the southeast corner of the stadium.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:37 pm

I don't know about anybody else but I really do not like the Texas Longhorns...they used to be our arch rival back when we were good and played in the Southwest Conference. I don't like the fact that they are practicing at our stadium or the fact that anyone else might think of this as a good thing. Maybe it is but I don't like. Sorry to be negative but I'm a Mustang...not a Longhorn and I know a lot of people down in the land of longhorns, big egoes and Teasippers. I don't like many of them but I have to hang out with them because they are my girlfriend's family. I hope they get the heck off of our campus and lose in the HOUSE THAT DOAK BUILT..not the house that Mack Brown built...the house that DOAK BUILT!!! Screw the longhorns.

Postby DTown » Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:12 pm

haha!! gee harvard, tell us how you really feel. Image
DTown

Postby SMU Blue » Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:40 pm

Harvard,

It is true that the Longhorns left for greener pastures. However, let's put the blame that on Arkansas for leaving early, and Ann Richards for including Baylor instead of SMU. The Longhorns made the best of a bad situation.

There are only positive things that can come out of letting the Horns feel welcome on our campus. Maybe they will include us in a new conference in 2005.

It is funny how somebody that went to an elite private school can call somebody <B>else</B> a teasipper. Image
SMU Blue
Recruit

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:58 pm

the only reason we're considered an elite school is because of the "elitist" kids that go there. it doesn't mean these kids are the cream of the academic crop...they just have money and texas-sized egos to go along (not all, so don't attack me Image there's a good reason my name is no longer SMUStudent06. but hell with the kids...go mustangs Image

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 12-30-2002).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:50 am

It is funny how somebody that went to an elite private school can call somebody <B>else</B> a teasipper. Image[/B][/QUOTE]

Actually I didn't make that one up myself...I'm really in to the history of our university and that was our nickname for them way back when. And let me tell you ...some of those upper middle class people can sip some tea a lot worse than some of those rich folk I know from SMU. Another thing..everything my scholarship doesn't pay for tuition and school fees the state does.

Return to Football